Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does Baking Soda actually damages hair?

Ram González
@ram-gonzlez
10 years ago
2 posts

So im starting dreadlocks in about 2 weeks, and i decided to stop using my normal shampoo and start using the non-residue alternative earlier so my scalp would get used to it.

I wanted to go with the baking soda + water in a spray bottle method, but it seems that baking soda actually harms and ruins the hair after some time of use, as i read several posts on the internet.

So for all of you who use Baking soda to wash your dreads, whats your experience on it? have you noticed hair/dread damage over time? how often do you wash your dreads?

updated by @ram-gonzlez: 01/13/15 10:04:33PM
Sarahface
@sarah16
10 years ago
108 posts

I have been dreading for over a year and seven months and I've used baking soda throughout the entire process. I wash about twice a week. The things I love most about baking soda is that it leaves your hair SO clean feeling. I wash afterwards with an apple cider vinegar rinse to help condition. And if I'm in an absolute hurry to get out of the shower, I will wash with Vicki's Lockin' Up Shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com. This shampoo is great and smells amazing but I just don't get that amazingly clean feeling afterwards like I do with the baking soda.

As for the effect it has had on my hair, I noticed that it does leave your hair brittle at times, which is why its so important to condition with the acv. When I separate it can be pretty easy to accidentally snap the hairs that are caught between two dreads. But my dreads themselves are strong and healthy, I have no weak spots or signs like they are being damaged otherwise.

interrstella
@interrstella
10 years ago
41 posts
I read and feared the same things which is why I used honey shampoo for a while but now I mostly use bs with dr bronners every once and a while. I dilute it a whole lot (probably twice the water recommend) and my hair feels clean stil. Even with my bleach damaged ends my hair feels much better when i do this and my hair doesn't begin to look nor feel oily until the 3rd or 4th day. I work as a waitress in Tennessee (so it's really humid and hot) I sweat a lotI like to add teetrea oil to my wash because it cools my scalp and makes my hair smell good. Do what feels right to you though. There's plenty of options. Everybody's body is different.
interrstella
@interrstella
10 years ago
41 posts
To clarify, I wash with BS OR dr. Bronners, not both at the same time. And of the two I much prefer the bs/ACV route.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i used it for 4 years

i started seeing the ends fall off all the time almost a few times a week i found 8 inches of dreazd somewhere ort other

and picking at frizz the hair seemed incredibly weak and just came apart

after switching to dreadlockshampoo.com thety got so much healthier and stronger and havent lost anything since then

so yes long term it can seem to9 weaken them

its still a good alternative tyo start out with and it might take years to see any harnbut it sure did seem that long term it wsas harmful

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ram González
@ram-gonzlez
10 years ago
2 posts
Thank you all, So by your experiences it seems like they do damage hair after a while, I might as well start with the dreadlockshampoo.com but international shippinng is kinda expensive hehe we'll have to see. Anyways I'll upload some pics later on this month when i start my dreads(: thanks again!W
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form