Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mold in dreads! Advice needed please.

Chris Harrington
@chris-harrington
10 years ago
6 posts
Ok, so I recently posted an issue concerning what i beleived to be mold at the tips of my nearly 1 year old dreads. At first I was unsure if it was a build up of baking soda, but I can't find anything online to suggest it a possibility. So, with lint and/or mould being the only other two options I thought I'd finally take a closer inspection. I gently scratched the tip of one of my locs to get a closer look at what was in the middle and found what I think was mould running through it, I flicked it with my finger and a powdery residue (like mould spores) were released. I have noticed on occasion that my hair has a slight musty smell when wet! If this is mould, I'm not sure how it has happened as I wash my hair in the mornings giving it time to dry during the day. I think when I first started, I may have washed at night once or twice due to lack of knowledge and I do bath as I have no shower, so maybe the moisture in the air is getting into my dreads? Please help, as I have gotten this far and my dreads are just starting to get some real definition, I really don't want to have to cut them off.
updated by @chris-harrington: 01/13/15 10:03:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

dio u ever wear it tied back damp the rot knot from www.dreadlockshampoo.com will fix u righgt up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chris Harrington
@chris-harrington
10 years ago
6 posts
Hey Soaring eagle, no I have never tied them up, trying to keep them loose until they've fully formed. Have you ever heard of baking soda building up in dreads before, wondering if I've been using too strong solution? If not then I'm guessing it is mould. I recently ordered the shampoo bars from Dreadlockshampoo and love them, but living in the UK postage is a sting in the tail! I might try the white vinegar and Lavender oil solution I've seen you post on other forums. How many courses would it normally take to get rid of the mould (if it is mould?)and how often should I do it?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

arethe tips blunted only time ive seen it buildup they made a pasate like a handfull of bs ansd a spoonful of water

if u keep the 1 to 10 ratio u shouldnt see probs

the white vinagers worth a try but might be fighting it awhile the rot knot knocks it rightout..ps shippings flat rate so u can get 4-6 products for the 1 shipoing fee b4 it goes up so then its more reasonavble

it sounds like mold if theres a musty scent when wet

--
Chris Harrington
@chris-harrington
10 years ago
6 posts
The tips are blunted on the thicker locs where the problem lies, maybe I haven't been rinsing properly, but I think you're right, don't think I'll take any chances with this one, might grab some of that rot knot and get rid! Thanks again for the advice brother!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

thick dreadsa + blunted tips = higher mold risk so yea im pretty surew thats whats up

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form