Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

New dready checking in - have a question

Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
3 years ago
42 posts

well i took out several and had my boyfriend split them up for me. i think i have over 60 now (up from 22) but some of them are VERY small.... so how small is too small? I think the smallest ones are no smaller than 1/4" sections. I still have several large ones to deal with.

I feel like my hair is looking much worse, but i'm hoping it's a step in the right direction. it's just a big frizzy mess right now, especially since we did them looser than last time. some of the sections of very small ones just look like hair that needs to be brushed instead of dreads.

Felt good to wash it today... hopefully it will just come right along :)

updated by @jenifer-j: 07/23/15 03:24:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,883 posts

i got 1 thats 1 mm x 2mm and thats 3 extra thin dreads combined

theres no too thin 60 is a good numbe4r

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
TattiNatti
@tattinatti
3 years ago
22 posts

I just started splitting some of mine too, I started with backcomb about 3.5 weeks ago & I split about 4 up last night & will do another 4 tonight... my split ones are super fluffy as I think i'm just going to leave them as doing twist & rip probably wont hold as it's soooo fluffy....

Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
3 years ago
42 posts

i finally finished splitting them up yesterday (there are 3 or 4 that are still a little big but i'm leaving them for now). I went up from 22 to 82. A few of the ones I did really loose came out, so i redid them a little bit tighter.. Shampooing tomorrow with Vicki's liquid... every 3 or 4 days. I did put in a few beads, but I plan on moving them around each day to avoid weak spots.

I do have a couple of questions...

- can I dry my hair with towels? if not, why not? just something I've always done. also after kayaking they are very drippy so it'd be nice to just squeeze them out a little bit. especially when it's cold out.

- i bought some of the salt spray from Vicki as well.. any guidelines on how to use it? i will likely be paddling and expect they will be fully rinsed in freshwater ;-) also, i take it's fine they get wet every day but should be washed only every few days, right?

- i had another but forgot... if i remember....

and some photos of course :) sorry about the sideways ones.

updated by @jenifer-j: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
TattiNatti
@tattinatti
3 years ago
22 posts

It looks great Jen!! I think it's going to just go crazy from here & start lumping & bumping it looks like it will go quite fast!!

I know with reg.. sea salt spray just to spray it on an hour or so before wash but Vicki's you can leave on longer as it has extra ingredients... Let me know how it works for you as I never ordered the spray as it put my shipping over with the other things I ordered....

I always wrap my hair in a towel after coming out the shower & then kinda press on it & I press the ends in the towel too to help with the dripping.... I think the bad thing with towels is lint.. so if you use a similar coloured towel to your hair colour you wont have too much of an issue... but rubbing is probably not a good idea :/

Txxxxx

oh p.s I just ordered a hula hoop the other day.. for basic use it's a fitness one not a fancy one I would never beable to do some of those moves lol... x

Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
3 years ago
42 posts

hey guys, so I'm having some issues separating the dreads on the back of my head. basically in the shape of a triangle on the very back. A lot of the twist and rip dreads have come loose near the roots and they are getting tangled at the roots... I try to always separate after washing, but I went kayaking this past weekend and I think wearing my helmet did a number on them in the back... they were already starting to have issues, but this has made it harder to manage.

so my questions are:

1-separating at the roots is important, right? is it ok to have some crossover?

2- is there anything i can do to keep them better separated on their own? something for sleeping or when i'm kayaking?

3- should i take these out? or just rip them apart as best as I can? or leave them alone? that's always the advice i hear around here, but i'm not sure if that's best back there...

Thank you all for any advice you have!

I'm hoping to start an actual timeline/member journal and add some more pics there, but I wanted to go ahead and ask my question here.

TattiNatti, how are your dreads doing? Thanks for the towel advice, I'm back to wrapping it up to help with the dripping, using old brown towels. Hope you are liking your hoop! :)

TattiNatti
@tattinatti
3 years ago
22 posts

Hey Jen!!!

Many of mine I have used those European Charm beads to separate.. you can get like 100 for around $10 they are glass...I have a lot in my hair and i don't feel them when I sleep... I think mine would be pretty much out by now some of the hair is a bit dreaded but about 6" or so all the way down is like silky smooth and straight, like I spent hours brushing it all nice and smooth :D So the beads are just keeping the sections & I'm hoping they are small enough that they wont be hindering in the process too much...

I think i'm coming up to week 4 since I started over, since last wash I feel I've lost a lot of progress some were zigging & zagging and bumping nicely but at the moment they are very... meh & doing nothing :( I am taking pictures week 5 so I hope I have something...

I hope someone can help you with your triangle.. other than the little beads I'm not sure what to suggest...

I LOVE my hoop... :D I only feel inclined to use it at around 10.30 at night though I'm hoping I will feel the urge more in the day too.... haha xx

Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
3 years ago
42 posts

Glad to hear that you love your hoop!! I want to make another one to do tricks on (mine is too heavy for that!) :) Looking forward to see the 5 week update!

Thanks for the tip of using beads to keep some separation. I've only put in about 5 beads, on my favorite dread babies for decoration (and i take them out if I'll be getting wet)... but that is an excellent idea for the ones that are loose.

And for anyone else wondering about separation or having similar issues, I found this tutorial on separating by Baba Fats to be really helpful. I guess I wasn't clear on what it means to "separate" and it was good to hear that you should have some tangled roots and not clearly defined sections... http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial

/ 2
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form