Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A new TV series with the intention to dispel the myths and stereotypes around people with dreadlocks

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

This is a needed topic. :3

soaring eagle said:

maybe could do an episode on how it affects teens when they arent alowed a sence of identity, individuality and a personal style and are forced to conform

updated by @arkynstone-gypsyfae: 07/22/15 11:39:58AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i maybe too layed back as a narator lol might want someone more energetic

but certainly would love to be a part of it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well its usa based series though several of the best candidates have been in other parts of the world nwere hoping to find more us based to participate

but sounds like the type person shes looking for

--
Megan Berry
@megan-berry
10 years ago
3 posts

I don't know if this topic has been suggested yet, there are so many good ideas ~

But what about instead of families that dread together, what about dreaded parents or a single parent of a young child and the stigma they face? I am a single dreadheaded mom (3 years now) of a 7-year old and I have always been shunned by other parents, and even purposely not invited to certain school activities. I am sure there are many misconceptions surrounding my parenting abilities due to the untrue stigmas (Lazy; pothead; dirty; etc.)

For me it was about a spiritual awakening, of wanting to be myself without caring what others thought of me. I have redefined beauty in myself and I see beauty differently in all cultures now - everyone is beautiful, whether they conform to societal standards or not (without conformity, what is nonconformity?)

I want to show the world the I am just as intelligent, caring and clean as any other parent out there, and that my streak of free spirit and self-acceptance is a good thing. My daughter already knows :)

~Megan

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i got a real amazing ..or well trafiic story that must be told my best freind whos a member her had her kids taken away given to a known abusive drug and alcahol addicrt who tried killing her 4 times ..the enbtire story would shock u and the only thing they have against her is she has dreads isnt chruistian has black freinds and owns a schjoolbus ..wich is actualy mine shes jusat the driver

the story is beyond shocking and desserves national attention

--
Megan Berry
@megan-berry
10 years ago
3 posts

Wow, I agree, that is terrible. It just shows how dangerous nonconformity can be in the eyes of those who don't understand :(

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

ok i found out shes looking for for like a family with dreads or a group of ppl with dreadswho started abusiness together that they can follow

--
Shannon Roman
@shannon-roman
10 years ago
2 posts

I'm not sure if my particular story is what you would be looking for. I'm a 30 year old, white, Christian woman. I've had natural dreadlocks for 2 years now, and my 4 year old daughter has 1 dread that has formed in her very short curly hair. She plans on having her hair turn into dreads so she can "look like Mommy". I hold two Associate Degrees, and studied to be a Sign Language interpreter, but didn't finish my certification due to finances and familial obligations. I am currently a stay-at-home mom that makes eco-friendly jewelry ( Eco-Chic Jewelry ), and I sell at our local farmer's market alongside my 4 year old who decided to start her own business ( Shula's Art Gallery ) and sells her art. Dreadlocks for me was an anti-style choice - it mirrored the natural lifestyle we were already living, and it represented the utmost natural hair without the assumptions of societal pressures. It was a deep spiritual journey that made me come to realize my beauty and worth were deeper than my physical appearance, and even encouraged me to stop wearing make-up. At the time I began my dreadlock journey, I knew no one who had dreads. So, it was a very deep and personal choice without outside influence. People often assume that because of my dreads, I smoke weed; and though I have nothing against it when used medicinally, I personally do not smoke. I don't like labels (though, I used a few for the sake of describing myself), and am often called a hippie, which means something different to every person that uses that label. I live pretty humbly and simply, and would eventually like to travel as a lifestyle with my family. My husband is hispanic, a veteran from the Marine Corps, an ex-cop, and we both worked in ministry together for awhile. We believe in eating a whole foods/ plant based diet, and working on our love and compassion towards all living beings - showing our love for God through our acceptance of others.

Joseph Harty
@joseph-harty
10 years ago
1 posts
I don't know if this has been said already, but what about doing something on kids and spouses of active duty soldiers who have locks. Talk about feeling out of place.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i think your as great candidate with a 4 year old dreadhead that styarted her own business..wow

yes..

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/27/15 11:16:34AM

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form