dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Epsom Salt?

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

Hi Everyone!

I've been thinking of trying something different to help the process (I'm just over 4 months in) and I've seen posts regarding using apple cider vinegar / baking soda or sea salt solutions on dreads to deep cleanse and/or help lock up a little more. My question is this: is Epsom salt an option? I've found some articles/threads where people say yes, some say to combine sea salt and Epsom salt in the solution, and a couple said not to use Epsom salt at all. I ask because I have some Epsom salt in the house and thought if it is a viable option I'd try that first.

I decided to post a thread because I haven't found a good source for pro's and con's or a comparison of Epsom vs sea salt - not much by way of detail, just personal opinion without actual information.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. :)

Courtney

updated by @arkynstone-gypsyfae: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

the only 1 i know of that suggested mixing them is the crazy salt lady that also swears by wax and idolizes jonny clean and dreadheadhq and broke a crochet hook off in a guys dreads tightening them (the metal hook broke cause they were already too tight but she wanted to tighten them more)

so not really a credibole info sourse

im really not sure on this maybe baba or heather would know more but id suggest just using sea salt

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts
Wow! That's horrible! Thanks for the info!
Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

Update on this: I did try the Epsom, with the understanding that it might cause dreads to loosen a bit. I have to report that it seemed to work just fine. My scalp felt really good - free of any shampoo/sweat residue (though I do use a lower residue shampoo anyway) and my dreads seemed to lock up a bit more and they felt a little softer to the touch. I haven't done it again yet, but I'm thinking that once a month or every other month might be ok for soaking if I don't get to the beach through the summer as I hope or don't pick up sea salt to use at home.

Just wanted to get it out there in case anyone else thinks of trying it. My experience went just fine. :)

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

Update # 2: I was able to do a sea salt soak for the first time. Seemed to be very much the same as the results from the Epsom salt soak - nice soft dreads, more locking and tightening, happy scalp (and skin). So, from my perspective and experience, it doesn't seem to matter which is used. Just make sure you rinse well after the soak, like soaring eagle said in his one post. Soak, take a break, soak, rinse. I just took a bath, soaked my head twice during, and then showered off just long enough to rinse my locs. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form