Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

It's good to be back.

Ibe Reverie
@ibe-reverie
10 years ago
14 posts

I used to frequent here under another alias. That was over a year ago, during my researching phase before I started my journey, and shortly after. It's been approximately 15 months since I have brushed or combed my hair, and I've got 5 locks started, all different sizes, shapes, and levels of maturity. I wash twice a week with Dr Bronners or baking soda, depending on how my hair and scalp feel. It's been quite the adventure so far, and I've learned a lot about locks, myself, and those around me just by making the decision to not brush my hair. I've met some amazing people in the dreadlock community, for lack of a better term, and I know I will continue to meet more. My attitude towards my progress varies. I always love my hair, but I do find myself still wishing my hair had locked already from time to time, or that my locks were mature and long. But then I realize I would have missed a part of the process that is necessary to my well being and health. I am much more patient now than I was, but I still have a long way to go, it sometimes feels. I am doing my best to enjoy every day, and every step of the process, as it's totally unique and life transforming for those who invest the energy. I hope everyone has an amazing day / night. :) Stay knotty.

updated by @ibe-reverie: 02/14/15 11:49:38AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

surprised it hadnt locked faster but if u got hard water thats why bronners wouldnt be a good choice then u might want to try a bottle of the lockin up liquid from www.dreadlockshampoo.com

i bet it starts to lock faster...and stick around tell us your entire routine (how u wash and dry if u wear hats allot etc) and we maybe can help speed it ip

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
10 years ago
86 posts

Hey man your hair is awesome, even though it's taking a while it'll definitely be worth it. I'm also in the same process, a little over a year and most of the dreads i have are on the back of my head. And well now that spring and summer are basically upon us try to go to the beach and swim or spend some time in the sea salt water it'd help with the progress, the members of this site who post the pictures with the fastedt progress usually live around a tropical climate and/or mention spending/going to the beach twice or more times a week. So that's what I'm going to be doing once this semester of school ends. Also like soaring eagle mentioned vicki's stuff (dreadlockshampoo) offers some high quality products and one of those is the sea salt accelerator, which I suppose you could make yourself if you so desired, especially to save a couple bucks haha, well good luck man

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well the lockin up liquids got sea salt in the shampoo too

thats why it makes it dread like crazy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ibe Reverie
@ibe-reverie
10 years ago
14 posts

Yeah i've used the lockin up liquid shampoo before, but it's been like a year since I've had any. I am planning on getting another bottle here when I can afford it. When I do go to the beach, I try and bring 2 liter bottles with me to bring some sea water back home with me so I can get that seawater whenever I want. I live an hour or two from the coast, so it's not as easy to get there as I'd like. I wash twice a week with either dr bronners or baking soda, and I have soft water (portland, or). I try not to wear hats or pull my hair back, but sometimes I need to, just to keep my hair out my face so I can eat without eating my hair, or if I am doing something at work that I need to pull my hair back for. I do my best to let it hang and blow freely though. The more movement, the better. the pictures I put on this threat first were a couple months ago, not much difference now, but I will take pictures for my 15 months. Couple more days so I might do it today. Thanks for the responses..let's talk locks!

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

They look awesome!!! Keep going and go back to the liquid shampoo from Vicki's dreadlockshampoo. It is really great in helping hair lock up. If you have the cash, her dreadlock gel works really nice too. But I just wanted you to know you look great.

Ibe Reverie
@ibe-reverie
10 years ago
14 posts

Thanks. I plan on getting some within the next month. I know it's not necessary, but it would be a nice little boost lol. I also got a 100% wool sweater to put over my pillow as a pillow case so that should start working wonders in no time.3 more days till my 15 months! I will have to try and get my lady to take some pictures..I have shaky hands and can never get a good picture off with the right angle and lighting etc. I will probably make a journey album as well soon. I still have most of my pictures since I decided to do this.

Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts
I am on almost my third week and my hair is ridiculously straight. Now I look like nothing had happened but some sectioning.I've read also lot of people recommend that dreadshampoo, I would like to buy some in the future, but also need to save some money for that, hehe.I guess my journey is gonna be pretty slow, but hey, is a good patience tester. I bet just fr the natural method and nothing else. I used to have crocheted dreads but they turned out really badly (And I just got the crocheted once). So I guess is healthier to let the hair dread at its own pace.Just enjoy the ride, for sure you're gonna end with really cool locs. ;)
Ibe Reverie
@ibe-reverie
10 years ago
14 posts

yes patience is key, and one of the reasons I went natural instead of having fake dread put on my head. I needed these lessons in my life. I've had quite a slow journey compared to other people, but I suppose it was necessary for me to learn the things I need to, at the time I need to. I bought myself a little 15 months present and got some more dreadshampoo, and also going to try the sea salt spray. I still value the journey and the process, and want to go through it..but I would also like to help my hair get there, since I also like the appearance. I am doing my best to enjoy the ride, and I definitely am. Some days are harder than others, just because you want progress and it's not always visible or easy to find, but that's part of learning the lessons of locks. Releasing yourself from your ego and certain desires etc. Thank you, I really appreciate it. Other people have told me the same, since it's taking much longer, my locs will look superb, and I also believe they will :) <3 My 15 month mark is tomorrow, I should get that album uploaded.

Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts
Actually, this days I've been thinking/experienced some sort of things now. Is like... I have 3 weeks without brushing my hair and suddenly on the street I'm aware of people who's hair look messier than mine despite my "efforts" to dread. Then I see myself watching online videos of freeform timelines and comparing my progress. And then I understand that it's not point of comparison and that is not the thing to do, but to be aware of my own thing. And then I know that I don't have to rush anything and that patience and stuff is gonna be hard to learn, but at same time this things are what make the journey so interesting. So I kinda understand you, when you've been wondering about your own pace and even imagining yourself with mature dreads.I am even considering in starting to collect some dread beads and I don't even have any dread yet. :p
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form