Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I hope I am doing this right!

Brittany Flynn
@brittany-flynn
10 years ago
3 posts
Hello everyone,I am in my second week of dreads but I'm worried that I am not maintaining them properly because they are loose. I did them myself by twisting, back-combing, then palm rolling. Should I continue to use this method or do you think it's a lost cause? I will try to post pictures to show what I mean.Thanks for your help!
updated by @brittany-flynn: 01/13/15 10:03:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

they are fine loosebut dont palm roll

twisting wont do anything in tyour hair type ..twuist and rip will wich is better then backcom bing anyway

but,its not nesacarty to do anything..if all you do is wash upir hair..it will dread itself

its going to be loose awhile thatts fine..let it be

it will tighten over time

do niot use wax or crochet hooks!

just give it time to dread

diont keep backcomging or twisting..or anything over and over..once u got sections defined and a few knots in just leave thenm alone to dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brittany Flynn
@brittany-flynn
10 years ago
3 posts
OK that's what I was going to do anyways. I haven't been using products, I just want site if they would dread themselves if I left them on their own but that's what I will do.Thank you for the advice and reassurance.:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

they absolitely will

havent u ever had a tangle tnhat u had to comb out?

even when conditioning and combing styburn tangles form

if u stop conditioning and combing...and leave that 1 lil tangle in there more will join it soon enough as more tangles group together it becomes a dread..just that easily..if u stop preventing them they happen

every knot and tangle you ever combed out was a dread trying to be boen

i bet there were 1000's of dread abortions before u decided to dread

then jumped into artificial insemination needslessly

but thats olk u got a whole binch of lil baby dreads on thier way..just wash them and let them form

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nathaniel Lopez
@nathaniel-lopez
10 years ago
26 posts

Dont worry. I just had to restart my locks and im in the same boat. Just expect it to look a little off while they are young.

<3 lock love <3

Amanda Clouse
@amanda-clouse
10 years ago
53 posts

Locs go through phases similar to humans as they grow up...

You have the 'baby dreads' phase. They are delicate and you have to be much more careful with them at this stage. Washing and separating is all you have to worry about.

Then you have your 'teenage dreads' phase. This is when your dreads are rebellious, crazy, and exciting! They will loop, zig-zag, frizz, all that fun stuff! Don't fear this phase, it is special. Once dreads straighten out, you will miss this phase. Again, wash and probably more frequent separating at this point!

Next is the 'adult dreads' phase. This is where dreads are getting more mature, but still aren't quite fully mature. Zig-zagging and loops start to settle down.

Finally, the 'mature dreads' phase. This is where your dreads are fully mature. Less loose ends and roots. Beautiful, noble, calm. <3

The ONLY maintenance you have to continue is washing your dreads and separating when needed. Nothing else.

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

Dread abortions hahahahaha I was really upset when all I seemed to be growing was a crop of flat knots and kinks. Now they are starting to shrink and straighten out . I will really miss the twirlies. Relax and enjoy the wonder of it all . I am so happy I quit worrying and just marvel.

Brittany Flynn
@brittany-flynn
10 years ago
3 posts
Thank you everyone for your positive encouragement, I'm very excited to watch them grow and mature and I can relax and enjoy it now :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form