Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Grey hair? Mildew? Or Baking Soda build up??

Chris Harrington
@chris-harrington
10 years ago
6 posts
Hello, I'm not normally one to worry too much about issues regarding my dreads, but I was wondering if anybody could help me? I have been letting my hair dread naturally for about 9 months now and have noticed the tips of some of my dreads are looking quite greyish white in colour. Now, there are a few factors involved and I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing but here goes! I have been washing my hair with Baking Soda (or Bi Carbonate as we call it here in the UK) and acv rinse, I wash it once a week and do it in the morning as to give it a chance to air dry before I go to bed. So I was wondering could this be a build up of Baking Soda? Or worse still, could it be mildew? My hair doesn't smell and its always dry before I go to bed, and as far as I'm aware I am rinsing it properly?? Another possibility is grey hair, I do have quite a few of em coming through and being that I've never dreaded my hair before I'm not sure how grey hair looks when it dreads? Any help would be welcomed!
updated by @chris-harrington: 01/13/15 10:02:57PM
Linus
@linus
10 years ago
43 posts

Thats the baking soda thats destroyed your hair, i had the same and you need to change shampoo.

If you look at my latest pic you can se that the big dread at the side is almost completely white, and thats because of the baking soda.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

actualy the tips often get lighter in color from being tir=ed up in summer sun

baking soda cannot build up it tuirns to gasses if u were mixing baking soda and acv or not rinsing between the 2 it might have damaged the hair

but to me that looks like typical sin bleaching or 'highlighting" baking sioda if too weakl can leave a gr=ey dead slkin paste at the roots

not the tips

it might be a good time to switch tho i found long term use of the baking soda seemed to weaken my hair wich is waty stronger now that i use dreadlockshampoo.com

but i am prety certain that what u got is sun bleaching

i get that every summer too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

is that dread in a position where its exposed to the sun more then others is it used to tie them up alot

had u ever used lemon juice

--
Linus
@linus
10 years ago
43 posts

I have the same.. or should i say, i had the same in almost all of my dreads and i havent seen sun i a really long time now. Im washing with Dreadlocksshampoo now tho and this white stuff is almost completely gone in all of my dreads exept the big one at the left side of my head, so im pretty sure this is infact from the use of baking soda.

soaring eagle said:

actualy the tips often get lighter in color from being tir=ed up in summer sun

baking soda cannot build up it tuirns to gasses if u were mixing baking soda and acv or not rinsing between the 2 it might have damaged the hair

but to me that looks like typical sin bleaching or 'highlighting" baking sioda if too weakl can leave a gr=ey dead slkin paste at the roots

not the tips

it might be a good time to switch tho i found long term use of the baking soda seemed to weaken my hair wich is waty stronger now that i use dreadlockshampoo.com

but i am prety certain that what u got is sun bleaching

i get that every summer too

Chris Harrington
@chris-harrington
10 years ago
6 posts
Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I don't tie my dreads as they're still too short and in early stages of forming (at 9 months) and unfortunately we don't get much sun here in the UK, so perhaps i should think about switching to the dreadlock shampoo, as I've been using the Baking Soda and acv for the 9 months so far. So you don't think it's just the grey hair? I'm really hoping its not mildew.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

it could be is it near the temples or any area thats more grey

could be lint too but totaly looks like sun wuch if u ever used lemon juice that would be why

--
Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts

There is also the factor that a lot of the hairs within your dreads are not live, attached hairs anymore and may lose pigment after dettached from your head! I think that's what mine is, I don't use BS just Dr Bronners....and it's not my tips that are grey, it's interwoven into my locks - no mildew or mold present either.

Chris Harrington
@chris-harrington
10 years ago
6 posts
Well, it does seem to be secluded to areas where more grey is present, and I'm guessing (if it is indeed grey hair?) it would be more present at the tips as that's the area of dread that knotted up the most so far. I'm going to try this dreadlockshampoo a go anyway. A change of approach might be worth a try. Thanks for the advice guys.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form