Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Reggae?

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

You will be amazed by how varied the Reggae sound is now a days. From Roots Reggae (Buju Banton, Capleton) and Dancehall (Bennie Man, Sean Paul) to Puerto Rican Reggaeton (Ivy Queen, Daddy Yankee) & Latino Reggae (Early Man, Stream http://8tracks.com/explore/reggae_latino )to Island Reggae (Common People, Hirie) there has never been a better time for Reggae. But maybe you should start at the beginning with the precursors of Reggae, which are Ska & Rocksteady, that way you can better appreciate how reggae came to be and how it has progressed through the years.

The Late 50's & Early 60's Jamaican Independence, Positivity & Dance Halls: Ska (Eric Monty Morris, Jimmy Cliff, The Wailers)

Mid 60's Rude Boys and the beginning of violence: Rocksteady you can really start to hear the progression toward Reggae, some older Jamaicans believe this was the height of Jamaican music. There was still a lot of positivity in music (Hopetown Lewis, Delroy Wilson). There is a very good film on this called: Rocksteady The Roots of Reggae

http://www.rocksteadyrootsofreggae.com/english/rocksteady.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feywAK09bxk

Late 60's Rastafari Movement, Musical Rebellion: Reggae was born in the ghettos out of oppression that is why you can hear the tinges of sorrow in the music. Maybe that is what drew so many to it: Bob Marley & The Wailers, Toot's & The Maytals

70's: Reggae goes global & Bands begin to form outside Jamaica: Most of Bob Marley's work that you have heard has come from this decade. Also Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, toward the end of the decade Burning Spear, Black Uhuru, Steele Pulse (U.K.) were formed though their most famous works belong to the 80's. Also early Punk bands in London & the U.K. began playing reggae songs in there sets. An insight into this decade can be seen in the 1977 film Roots, Rock Reggae Inside the Jamaican Music Scene.

For now that's plenty and should give you a brief but solid understanding of Reggae. I'll come back later & we can briefly go over the 80's to today.

updated by @stingrey: 07/23/15 03:09:00AM
Linus
@linus
10 years ago
43 posts

Kultiration, Groundation, Rebelution. Dubska,

Im not really into reggae but those bands are awesome.

Linus
@linus
10 years ago
43 posts

I almost forgot

Stick Figure! Look them up.

Shane Northern
@shane-northern
10 years ago
59 posts

Soja

Adam Jaymes Robinson
@adam-jaymes-robinson
10 years ago
19 posts
Steel Pulse is one of my favorites.. Gregory Isaacs, Desmond Decker, The Itals, Toots & The Maytals, The Clash (I would consider them a punk/reggae fusion like The Bad Brains who also kick ass), Jimmy Cliff of course.. the older stuff is the best.. just create a "The Wailers" station on your Pandora.. usually plays amazing reggae music..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

my freinds 1 yahn 1 arkesrtra

www.iyia.com

they are awesome

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago