Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question about that Rainbow gathering thing and Volunteer work.

Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
10 years ago
40 posts

So, I am wondering what is that whole gathering thing about? What goes on there, what is the goal or purpose of it etc? Can someone fill me in? So some of those people just continue traveling around? or does everyone go back to normal lives afterwards etc? I am curious because SE had suggested it to me when I was talking about my homeless situation. Which is still a reality I just bought myself some time. Either way, was thinking about trying to check it out, but I am all the way in Ohio :-D.

Ok and about Volunteer work. I was talking to people about this elsewhere, and I am just going to copy and paste my questions/concerns with it, and am wondering if anyone knows anything about it??

Warning: The context of the follow will be off because I was replying back and fourth with someone else. XD

So I was having an idea.

Anyone know about volunteering out of the country? I mean most places seem like they are just trying to sell you a vacation.

Also, would it be possible to start some kind of non-profit organization like that? Ran off of charity or something to go do work in other countries where people could volunteer for free?

I wouldn't really feel right with going and forcing any specific religion down anyones throats.

As spiritual/religious as I am, I could never support any church based movement, ESPECIALLY not Catholic, or Christian which is my foundation. But the absolute embodiment of evil in today's society as far as I am concerned.

& To Noir, obv. Which is why I disliked most of the options I saw on google, They make it seem like your paying for a vacation and will be spending some of your time teaching people english.

I'm not really interested in that, I could just as easily fly to freaking India and live there or something.

The thing is, I know this might sound dumb or what ever. But I love hard work. My only issue is I hate working for uncle Sam, doing nothing positive for anyone. I can't stand American society, or its version of slavery. Working your life away for barely enough to scrape by.

I hate sitting around living a meaningless life. The only job I have ever held that I liked I was surrounded by foreign people, not "African Americans." Or "Mexican Americans." Or "Asian Americans" but real people from other cultures. Who barely spoke english. And I loved learning to communicate with these people, teaching them to do their jobs, I loved what they were about they way they treat each other, and their passion for love and life in general.

That was probably the only time during my life I have felt satisfied, managing a warehouse full of under-appreciated, and underpaid immigrants from all over the world. Helping take care of those people and make sure they were getting fair treatment helping them etc. Other then my years as a stay at home dad, which were also amazingly satisfying.

I just don't feel like I am enjoying life, or doing anything productive when I am living in this american society working 9-5 at a job I hate, that doesn't really help anyone.

I know most of you are younger then me, and were born to love this meaningless society. So this might be hard for someone to understand. But It just feels like a worthless spiritually restircting life.

No, I don't want to go volunteer to live in a beach house in freaking Cancoon and go around trash picking occasionally on the weekends.

My idea situation would be like HARD work. Building shacks/houses in a place that has no housing. And having to live in one of them myself, as a part of the community. I don't want a paycheck, I don't want luxury. I just want a service job, to serve and help people, to grow and experience the world. To see other peoples hardships and make an impact on the planet.

I don't know how to explain it all...But if you have ever experienced the cultures outside of America, or even the hidden cultures inside of America, the Native Americans that still practice their beliefs, etc. Its just so much more beautiful and filling, then sitting around here doing nothing other then getting old...Occasionally getting money.

The thing is, money holds absolutely no value in my life aside from survival. I don't want money, I don't need money, or feel attached to money...Lol...And that is all our society cares about...Name me one person you know who does something else with their life besides see how much money they can make, or out do their neighbor by buying a better car etc? Its absolutely sickening and pathetic.

"I'm soul searchin, I'm soul hurtin.
What happens when money don't make you happy, wish that on no person."

I dunno how good I was at getting my message across in this post. Its still early and I haven't even drank my coffee yet. But I would like to do something meaningful with my life.

In America, if you do become prosperous, its just at the expense of another human suffering. For every person making $100,000 a year, there are 10 people who can't get a job by any means.

updated by @rude-bwoy: 01/13/15 10:02:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

both questions have 1 answer (although there are other possibilities for the 2nd)

rainbow is building a better society a working one4 that uses no money and values it less then toiletpaper (wich we use much more of)

-its hard work and for a great gathering everyone does thier share..can you imagine how hard it is to cary a grand piano 10 miles up a mountain over rough trails?

gatherings run by everyone doing thier share

We Love You from Jonathan Kalafer on Vimeo .

but recently after katrina hit the gulf coast rainbows formed rema aka arrr (rainbow emergency management assembly and cause one camp/kitchen is a pirate camp arrr is american rainbow rapid responce) our disaster relief efforts

since katrina weve also done floods in the midwest superstorm sandy in the east and the quake in ..damn mind went blank where was the huge quake a few years back (not the japan tsunami although i think some ppl went there too)

gatherings happen all over the world and theres even a rainbow peace fleet ..saili=g the oceans gathering to gathering

and in florida a rainbow island and costa rica a rainbow retreat

as well as off the grid communitis being started all over

additionaly rainbows as individuals are always taking thaft rainbow spirit and taking it to the streets i myself tirned 1 of the worse crack hoods into 1 of the safest most loving peacefil spots in the city..for almost 10 years

while others have started schools in jamaica, orphanages in other countries taught turkish poor how ti farm the dessert organicly

etc etcwhatever your vision is youd be able to get others to join in and help make it reality

when i did the thing in the crack hood people came from all over the countrty to camp there ..out in the open in abandoned lots surrounded by collapsing abandoned buildings just to help out..and made it a truly magical place the neighbourhood will never forget

ofh forgot to mention

there are dozxens of kitcvhens that share food nonstop

1 started my crack hood project they hsave been doing it for over 30 years i think

they get all the food (tons) donated, but work roofing jobs every several months to cover paper plates etc feeding an average of 1500 a day..3 meals.. not soup kitchen slop but absolutely the best healtthiest 99% vegatarian gourmet yumminess (they can heed 40,000 if needed easy)

they havent served as a kitchen at gatherings too often recently but instead join forces with lovin ovens (pizza till you puke night pumps out thousands of pizzas each and every 1 unique)

the kitchen's bus is legaly registered to "everybody" so everybody is not only welcome but everybody already owns it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
10 years ago
40 posts

Thanks for the long reply I'm just quick glancing over it ATM, I will sit down and read more in to it later.

Do you have some links or information on how to sign up my services to the rainbow people thingy :-D. What is the actual correct term?

If at all possible, I would love to get on board with the people who set up and tear these things down. Especially if its a constant year round thing.

As far as volunteering in a kitchen, or to help during tragic events across the states & elsewhere. I would love to do that also. My only concern is being able to stay above water, having a place to sleep etc.

If I am volunteering my time that would make it extremely difficult to stay a float. But if I could find somewhere I didn't need a pay check to be a part of that would be amazing. I do want to make sure its something that I am actually staying active, productive, and helping people though. I don't want to just wind up being stagnant and floating through life :-D.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

the gatherings theres nothing to sign ip for lol just show up

once there lend a hand where needed.. hard work that needs doing- shitter diggers (in american society ditch digging is the lowest of the low in rainbow its the most highly respected job ) carying wood water supplies ..10 gallons of waters heavier then you think

building kitchens bridges etc just show up early ..seed camp.. generaly early mid june 2-3 weeks b4 the gathering start to build everything

cleanup a month or longer after the gathering we clean up so no sign we were ever there can be foind the lands naturalized rocks logs etc scattered naturaly etc reseeeding paths

as far as disaster relief you sign up google american rainbow rapid responce theres dozens of pages all should link to the signip form

u can contact em on fb too

once signed up yoiur "on call" when a disaster hits and they mobalize you make your way there sleep in tents or tipis (no need to worry bout a place) you may be there a few months or even a couple years (2-3)

if u choose to travel with a kitchen then youd be sleeping on the bo=is or in a support vehicle otr tent again not needing a place (unless you want 1)

u asked what rainbows do idf they travel gathering to gathering or go back to a home betweeen

the answers yes

they do both

some travel nonstop from gathering to gathering some have homes and only hit a few a year some only 1 every few years

some are ceos of fortune 500 companies yet still have nev er missed a gathering (at least not the national)

--
Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
10 years ago
40 posts

Ok cool I will check that through google.

And I would have to find out if someone else was going to that gathering that early so I could link up with someone once in the area or prior as opposed to running around the woods solo getting lost :-D.

Or at least find out where I can talk to other ppl that will be going there that early to know when I could show up to help if I am able to travel to where its at. I think when I looked it up it wasn't set on a location just yet??

Anyways I'd most likely have to fly near by and try to work my way out in that direction XD. Would probably take some creative funding of some sort, lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

early spring the spring council location will be anounced typica;y end of may begining of june spring councils is usualy within 100 miles of the most likely locations (but spring council might decide on 1 in a whole diferent starte) b4 spring council theres typicaly holding camps tho i wouldnt suggest going that early especialy not the 1st time

spring council picks the exact site anytime in june usualy by the 15th often sooner..the day they pick the site announcemts go out and spring council moives to the gathering and seed camp begins

once seed camp begins ppl start flooding in hundreds a day then thousands by the 3rd week of seed camp rainbows outnumber locals typicaly

the real population explosions around the last few days of june 1st few of july reaching peak on the 4th for the silence then mass exodus around 7th-10th leaving a couple thousand for cleanup after few weeks thats down to a few hundred with the last dozen or so leaving sometime in aug 9however often 1 or 2 stiuck around into oct just to make sure theres not even the tiniest scrap of trash to be found)

--
Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
10 years ago
40 posts

That is cool, just forward me any info once you hear where it might end up at.

I don't know how I will get there, and don't really have any place to go where its over...But I would like to try to attend =D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

keep checking the events here as it gets closer

--
Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
10 years ago
40 posts

I keep necro'ing this thread =D. But I never could find anything to volunteer help or whatever to that American rapid response thing. All dead links.

Does it even still exist?!? If you know any people who can steer me in the direction of some kind of volunteer work send them to me =D or if they are going to that gathering thing etc.

soaring eagle said:

keep checking the events here as it gets closer

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

try on facebook/

u can also hook up with everybodies kitchen in the meantime

--
Dislike 0

Tags