dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Keeping ends unblunted?

Anna Blocker
@anna-blocker
10 years ago
25 posts

Hey dreadies,
I'm about 2-3 months in and have about 7 or so really well formed shrinking dreads in the back of my super curly hair, I just let them happen, and separate them after washing my hair.
Right now my big problem is that the ends of the dreads keep trying to blunt up, and I not only do not like the look of that but have heard it can be bad, making them take longer to dry etc, and I wash my hair quite often.

Also getting into that panic of how short they are getting, I LOVE my long hair, and between the shortness of the dreads and the fact that only the back is dreaded thus far....I feel like it looks really funky lol

Namaste!

updated by @anna-blocker: 01/13/15 10:02:11PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

igc its determined to blunt it will intentionaly bluntings not smart but if its wanting to u wont be able to prevent it withoit constant combing out the tips

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Anna Blocker
@anna-blocker
10 years ago
25 posts
Ok good to know. I think it's because my hair is curly so the tips are curling up into the knotted dread. Some just have a silly long thin strand sticking out xD it's quite funny.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

those are adorable arent they?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Anna Blocker
@anna-blocker
10 years ago
25 posts
Very! One has both a random long strand sticking out, and a short curled tuft sticking out. Very silly lol
Kody A. Busboom
@kody-a-busboom
10 years ago
3 posts

my hair is fairly curly and I have blunted ends but have found that I am fine as long as I do not wash my hair more then 2 times a week. I do live in AZ so the climate may play a role in how my hair dries but I really haven't found any negatives other then the length after they dreaded with blunted ends. The loss of length is not the most enjoyable fact but a part of that journey all in the same. I say let nature take its course, you did chose to go the natural route, nature has been been around for much longer then us, just trust it, it might surprise you.

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
10 years ago
393 posts

You will get over the shrinking.

Due to normal hair growth, our dreadlocks go through phases of becoming longer and a phase of shrinking. The longer your dreadlocks get the less often you will notice the shrinking.

Most of the initial shrinking happens within the first year. After that dreadlocks shrink as new kinks and loops form.

Karen Guy
@karen-guy
10 years ago
36 posts
I am in my eighth month and I too feared shrinkage. I have always had long hair, only cutting it 3 times in the last 10yr to donate it. I have wanted dreads for over 20yrs but was afraid of shrinkage and now in my 8mth my hair has shrunk from just below my breasts to above my shoulders! Basically A LOT of shrinkage. I have very wavy hair. I have gone natural and some ends have blunted and some not. Just let it be & it will do what it wants to do. Now I'm committed & I try to remind myself it will grow, it will grow. Think if I had just let it go 20yr ago, what beautiful long dreads I would have now?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form