Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing with liquid shampoo

cassie gabriel2
@cassie-gabriel2
10 years ago
8 posts

Hey all, i have had my dreads for about 4 days now, almost 5 and i think its about time to wash. With my previous sets, i did the AC wash with some oils but the oils and apple cider vinager really tried out my scalp (its super sensitive) and then the second time i just used bar soap (wasnt the best idea but it was residue free and did the trick) and this time i went ahead with buying liquid dreadlock shampoo from a site that my friend gets her bar soap to wash her dreads (dont worry not dreadlock hq or whatever its called. im super excited to try this out but ive never used liquid shampoo so are there any special ways to wash? i looked over some other discussions but didnt find what i was looking for.

I appreciate it guys!

updated by @cassie-gabriel2: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Jamison Johnston3
@jamison-johnston3
10 years ago
64 posts
Just put it on your hands, pat it all around your scalp, then massage your scalp. No need to put it on all your hair, it will rinse through your dreads and clean as it goes.
cassie gabriel2
@cassie-gabriel2
10 years ago
8 posts

oh! another question, i got addtion rosemary with green tea oil and im not sure how to use that either. any suggestions?

Read more: Washing with liquid shampoo - dreadlocks forums http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/washing-with-liquid-shampoo#ixzz2tjMNzt49
the best place for real dreadlocks
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Jamison Johnston said:

Just put it on your hands, pat it all around your scalp, then massage your scalp. No need to put it on all your hair, it will rinse through your dreads and clean as it goes.
Jamison Johnston3
@jamison-johnston3
10 years ago
64 posts
Well me personally put a few drops on my palm, then dip my finger tips in the oil, and massage my scalp. Do that until there's hardly any left in my Palm then pat the remainder on my hair.
Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

I've tried all the different shampoos from Jamaican Mango & Lime, Knotty Boys, Dr. Bronner's, Apple Cider Vinegar to local vendors. The best hands down is Vicki's from the dreadlockshampoo.com site. If that's what your using this go around you should be good to go as she uses sea salt in her liquid formulas. The thing about liquid shampoos for dreads is they do not lather up like shampoo bars or even regular shampoos because most do not and should not contain any lathering agents and chemicals that will accumulate and build up in your dreads. I like the bars as well as you can really scrub the scalp but as my dreads are not fully mature it's best to keep using the Locking Up Liquid shampoo with sea salt.

As for methods I have found that with liquid shampoo it's best if you "prime" your hair and scalp. Really soak the the hair with water, get it as wet as possible, I then work a very small dollop the size of a dime onto my finger tips or palms and scrub my scalp. You won't see much lather but thats okay this is only the priming part, rinse it all off. Now repeat but this time with a larger quarter size dollop, really work it into the scalp and scrub it! As my dreads have matured it gets harder and harder to get at the scalp with my finger tips. I have recently resorted to using my palms and pressing them gently but firmly into the scalp and rubbing it in a slow deliberate circular fashion until the hairs get soft enough that I can get my finger tips to the scalp itself. I then take the excess suds and work them though each individual dread working from the base to the tips. I'll wring them and pall roll them gently working the shampoo deep into the each dread until they are all sudsy. I will let it soak in for a few minutes (about five minutes) soaking in the clean smell and just relaxing my body and mind into the aroma of Nag Champa, Patchouli or any of the other scents I use. I then rinse them all off by staring at the scalp and then wringing the dreads gently from the base to the tips.

Does this take time? Yes, but we should only wash our hair twice a week or every third day so it's not like it's an everyday ritual. Also the scents from Vicki's DreadlocksShampoo smell sooo good that it is a very relaxing ritual that removes a lot of the tension that inevitably builds up in my body from my high pressure job at the hospital so if takes a little longer so be it. These are my dreads why not pamper them. They have become more then extension of my body, they are more like an extension of my inner self, my very spirit and soul.

As far as essential oils, I used to use them as an additive to my homemade sea salt water spray in between washings (use a 3-4% salinity like the ocean, NO MOREfor the typical 8oz / 237ml spritzer bottle this is only two teaspoons of sea salt). I have since starting using Vicki's sea salt spray and honestly the scent from the shampoos will last the three days until the next washing that I no longer see a need to add essential oils to the spray. Experiment with different strengths until you find your ideal. Start light with just a few drops and add from there. Keep track of how many drops of essential oil you added right on the bottle with a Sharpie permanent marker so you can easily remake it or adjust to it.

Lastly I am a big believer in using mother nature's own ocean to help mature dreads. It helps to really frizz up the hair into a bushy knotty mess that dreads up so nicely. I'll spend hours catching waves early in the morning for dawn patrol. The whole day dreads will be poofed out and knotty. I loose a lot of length once they dry out but they look so much more mature and cylindrical.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress this go around,

cassie gabriel2
@cassie-gabriel2
10 years ago
8 posts

this helped me so much! i actually bought the nag champa with rosemary and green tea liquid shampoo from that same site :)

i loved it my hair smelled so nice and while i was in the shower it was super relaxing! thanks for all the great tips.

also with the oil, i obviously wash it out correct?

thanks again !

Sting.Rey said:

I've tried all the different shampoos from Jamaican Mango & Lime, Knotty Boys, Dr. Bronner's, Apple Cider Vinegar to local vendors. The best hands down is Vicki's from the dreadlockshampoo.com site. If that's what your using this go around you should be good to go as she uses sea salt in her liquid formulas. The thing about liquid shampoos for dreads is they do not lather up like shampoo bars or even regular shampoos because most do not and should not contain any lathering agents and chemicals that will accumulate and build up in your dreads. I like the bars as well as you can really scrub the scalp but as my dreads are not fully mature it's best to keep using the Locking Up Liquid shampoo with sea salt.

As for methods I have found that with liquid shampoo it's best if you "prime" your hair and scalp. Really soak the the hair with water, get it as wet as possible, I then work a very small dollop the size of a dime onto my finger tips or palms and scrub my scalp. You won't see much lather but thats okay this is only the priming part, rinse it all off. Now repeat but this time with a larger quarter size dollop, really work it into the scalp and scrub it! As my dreads have matured it gets harder and harder to get at the scalp with my finger tips. I have recently resorted to using my palms and pressing them gently but firmly into the scalp and rubbing it in a slow deliberate circular fashion until the hairs get soft enough that I can get my finger tips to the scalp itself. I then take the excess suds and work them though each individual dread working from the base to the tips. I'll wring them and pall roll them gently working the shampoo deep into the each dread until they are all sudsy. I will let it soak in for a few minutes (about five minutes) soaking in the clean smell and just relaxing my body and mind into the aroma of Nag Champa, Patchouli or any of the other scents I use. I then rinse them all off by staring at the scalp and then wringing the dreads gently from the base to the tips.

Does this take time? Yes, but we should only wash our hair twice a week or every third day so it's not like it's an everyday ritual. Also the scents from Vicki's DreadlocksShampoo smell sooo good that it is a very relaxing ritual that removes a lot of the tension that inevitably builds up in my body from my high pressure job at the hospital so if takes a little longer so be it. These are my dreads why not pamper them. They have become more then extension of my body, they are more like an extension of my inner self, my very spirit and soul.

As far as essential oils, I used to use them as an additive to my homemade sea salt water spray in between washings (use a 3-4% salinity like the ocean, NO MORE for the typical 8oz / 237ml spritzer bottle this is only two teaspoons of sea salt). I have since starting using Vicki's sea salt spray and honestly the scent from the shampoos will last the three days until the next washing that I no longer see a need to add essential oils to the spray. Experiment with different strengths until you find your ideal. Start light with just a few drops and add from there. Keep track of how many drops of essential oil you added right on the bottle with a Sharpie permanent marker so you can easily remake it or adjust to it.

Lastly I am a big believer in using mother nature's own ocean to help mature dreads. It helps to really frizz up the hair into a bushy knotty mess that dreads up so nicely. I'll spend hours catching waves early in the morning for dawn patrol. The whole day dreads will be poofed out and knotty. I loose a lot of length once they dry out but they look so much more mature and cylindrical.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress this go around,

Jamison Johnston3
@jamison-johnston3
10 years ago
64 posts
You wash it out, But you don't have to do it right away, you canlet it sit for a few days
Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

Glad to hear you like them, I actually look forward to wash day as a treat now rather then a chore. Vicki does no advertising other then a simple link from this website, yet her products are truly the safest and highest quality, I know I've tried them all. I can tell she really cares about healthy dreads as you can tell she uses only the highest quality ingreadiants like Himalayan Sea Salt.

As for essential oils, no you do not need to rinse them off at least I don't. If you put them on your hair directly with your finger tips as an oil do so very carefully. I learned the hard way that the oil will condition your hair and start to unravel your hard won dready knots and tangles. A better solution is to use a small spray bottle and just spritz it very lightly onto the hair. You don't need much, just a couple of spritz is fine. For new dreads I find that the best solution is simply mixing up a Sea Salt Spray (remember 3-4% salinity just like the ocean) and add the essential oil to the solution. That way you get the benefits of both with a single spray.

Experiment with diffrent strengths and scents to come up with your own special scent that reflects you completely. My personal favorite is a Nag Champa based with Patchouli added as a secondary scent with a special hardly known essential oil from the Australian/New Zealand shrub Kunzea Ambigua with a touch of Citrus as an end note to finish it off. I love this scent but the Kunzea Ambigua adds a very masculine scent to it, more Australian Outback then "woodsy". For a woman I would simply exchange the Kunzea Ambigua with Lavender all else can remain the same. The citrus gives it an "active" note.

Keep us posted and let us know how your dread journey progresses.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form