Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Show Us Your Recovery Pictures

Shannan2
@shannan2
10 years ago
3 posts

Gorgeous! So did you just have them crocheted to begin with, and then just let them go completely? With no maintenance at all..?

Thanks.. _/|\_

SweetInTheMornin said:

I was never very harsh on them, with the needle and such. So i suppose they recovered pretty fast :) Here is a picture of them at 1 month were they are all cute and fussy.. And so SHORT! Gosh it is quite a while ago.

updated by @shannan2: 07/22/15 11:48:46PM
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

Maybe you cannot notice, but when you crocheted your dreads you look uncomfortable and unsure. When you let them go, your picture looks relaxed and confident.I think it is the subtle things dreads bring to the surface that sometimes go unnoticed. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Dmitriy Goncharov
@dmitriy-goncharov
10 years ago
4 posts

I've got my hair backcombed and crocheted about a year ago. I've let them be ever since, no maintenance at all. They only routine i have is rinsing every week with bicarbonate and ACV. Big thank you to SE for opening my eyes when it comes to the nature of the dreadlocks and the importance of really understanding what is going on.

This is what they looked like day 1

And here is what they look like today (374 days later)

updated by @dmitriy-goncharov: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Ratty
@ratty
10 years ago
12 posts

Dmitry, thank you so much for these before and after photos. I found this site two days after I'd had mine made the crotchet way. I'm seven weeks into my crotchet recovery now and what I love most is finding before and after photos of people who went neglect after having started the crotchet way. Because it gives me hope! So thank you! What a big difference between your Day 1 photo and your Day 374 photo. Was so happy to catch this post yesterday in the feed. GREAT!!!

Dmitriy Goncharov
@dmitriy-goncharov
10 years ago
4 posts

Yeah, I remember looking for this kind of photos myself to give me hope. I don't need to do that anymore, I can just look in the mirror and see for myself how fuller of life my hair is. I remember telling the guy who made them to make them different sized coz I was looking for that "natural" look lol. The best advice I can give you is to let go of the control and enjoy the changes. Embrace the fact that your hair is living it's own life now and most of all, don't worry eventually it will be recovered.

Ratty
@ratty
10 years ago
12 posts

Thanks Dmitriy, how many dreads did you have made and did you let any congo?

Dmitriy Goncharov
@dmitriy-goncharov
10 years ago
4 posts

I had 50 when i did them, now i let some of them in the back of my head congo. It has definitely grown but not so much in length, they are getting loopier and thicker, I have a lot of loops at the moment.

Athena G
@athena-g
10 years ago
12 posts

You're 2.5 yrs. photo really gives me hope for my babies.

I had mine TnR'd 3 months ago, but what I didn't know was that she did some crochet work again too. :-/ I know that's her preferred method, but I wish she would have told me she was going to crochet them too (she did say she would use the hook to catch any strays, but I didn't realize she used it as part of the method until she posted pics. saying she did). That explains why they felt so tight the first week...

Mine are definitely fluffing out nicely, so I do appreciate my dready creator's work, just gives me something to look forward to when they mature :)

SweetInTheMornin said:

I have been recovering from crocheting for 2,some years now. I crocheted my dreads as a way to get them started. This is NOT something i regret as I believe it to be part of the experience and history I have with my hair, but I must admit it is not something I would recommend others to do. It leaves the scalp sore and the hair scratchy and uncomfortable. Here are the pictures to show the progress.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form