Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dawn Ultra Dish Soap

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

Hello everyone! Ok so I asked for some help on my issue with the sticky residue in my hair and was given the idea to try Dawn dish soap. I just used it and WOW!!! My hair felt fried when I was getting out of the shower, I'm sure I just stripped the oil out and it will return in time but am seriously astonished at how dreaded it is. I did wash it 2 times and tried to concentrate more on the hair than my scalp so as to not irritate it. The first wash didn't seem like a real success so I repeated and rinsed like a mother hubbard. I was wondering if this is normal...for dish soap...as to the fact that now my hair seems like it has almost doubled in dreads! I am amazed! I even lost quite a bit of length in just this shower. I had tried sea salt water spay and it doesn't compare.

I was told not to use the Ultra and I did...oops. I honestly didn't notice that part until I came back to see if I'd used the right soap.

updated by @zoeyrainsmom: 01/13/15 09:58:09PM
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

Lol. Well i guess it worked then? I generally recommend no ultra because it's a lot more harsh. Oh well. Hopefully it resolved your issue. Oh and the extra dreadiness is thanks to the super stripping you just did with the wash. Your hair will return to normal in time.

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

Thanks again Heather!!! It did take the stickiness out of my hair, I'm so relieved. I'm a nerd, when I was at CVS I looked to see if they had Dawn regular blue dish soap and didn't pay attention to the ultra part until I felt my hair. My fault. I'm onna o back to the Dreadlock Shampoo again, I'm not sure how long it'll take to get icky again...hopefully a long time...but just in case is there a safe time frame that I should wait before having to use Dawn again? I really don't want to fry my hair but I do love the dready result. Thanks Again!!

Heather said:

Lol. Well i guess it worked then? I generally recommend no ultra because it's a lot more harsh. Oh well. Hopefully it resolved your issue. Oh and the extra dreadiness is thanks to the super stripping you just did with the wash. Your hair will return to normal in time.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Try using a natural dish soap -- you'll get the same effects without frying yourhair (as much, at least. haha)! I used to use Ology dish soap from Walgreens once a week, and it worked very well. Better than baking soda.

Definitely follow it up with an ACV rinse, though. It's still a tad drying.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form