Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreaded too close to scalp, pulling on scalp, guess im cutting

Skinny Mann
@skinny-mann
11 years ago
3 posts

well, almost 4 years straight of growing my curly frizzy poofy white boy fro hair, and over 7 months of not combing it, and wahoo, i have dreads. i went neglect/freeform. they are big and they locked pretty well pretty quickly. theres only 6 of them, they are all pretty fat. i dont have a pic of my dreads specifically but theres a pic of me on my instagram, my name is "neil4rizzle".

anyway, theyre mostly great, still young and still forming, but a few of them have ended up dreading very close to my scalp, basically the dread starts right at my scalp and in certain spots on my head my hair is being pulled. its not a big pain until i shake my dreads or touch my scalp in those areas, such as when im washing, then i can really feel some hair being pulled from my scalp. it reminds me of when i had my hair braided, except theres no undoing this. i have tried pulling these hairs out from the dreads (not my head) but theyre stuck in the dread.i guess maybe this is just the way dreads are and thats how they are suppose to be, but i think its gonna cause me to cut. i really do not want to cut, i was planning on growing these for the next 10 years plus. but now it looks like i will be doing the opposite. ugh, now i feel like i will never have dreads.

i really really hate to cut and would much rather not. but ive been thinking about the positives: no more hair being tugged on at the scalp, i will be able to touch my scalp all over (i can touch most of my scalp now just a few areas i cant, what im talkin bout), my hair wont be soaking wet all day long, my hair wont be a mess all the time. theres other positives too but i really did not want to cut. now i feel like i wasted the last 4 years growing my hair out for nothing. i could always start over and grow dreads again but holy crap i'll b 30 years old by the time they grow long again.

but anyway, should dreads be pulling at some of your hair like that?? im thinking of cutting on tuesday and in a way im almost looking forward to it but im gonna miss the hell outta my dreads dammit

updated by @skinny-mann: 01/13/15 09:58:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

why cut..comb them out and start over but keep them thinner

are you saying you have just 6 massive dreads? the minumum you want is 20 or more 30-40 is a better size

i think your only issue is you let them foerm too huge

do not cut them

soalk in conditioners and comb them out gently and slowly then let them redread but make sure none form over an inch at the scalp

1/2 inch is better still

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Skinny Mann
@skinny-mann
11 years ago
3 posts

thank you very much for your response. but i dont get it.

yes, i have 6 massive dreads. i thought i dreaded the way i was suppose to, dont do anything, let it do its own thing. i dont know how i couldve made them smaller besides messing with them alot in the first few weeks, which i thought ur not suppose to do. plus i wouldve felt like i was keeping the hair from tangling up.

but anyway, i dont see me combing thru my hair, it is extremely matted and knotted. i think i would rather just rock short hair for awhile. i dont really care. ive always been that way, i want long hair when its short, i want it short when its long lol. except now, im mostly just cutting to keep these mats from pulling at my head. i mean, i probably could keep growing like this for years but with the tugging on the scalp seem like it could cause long term damage.

also, i dont suppose there is any place that would pay you for your hair is there? dreaded up anyway?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dreaded no and you absolutely can comb them out but will take time

and yes you should seperate to keep them from forming too huge'

i made that mistake with 1st set too and had 2 horns and a beavertail

i would comb them out so they can redread right away

--
Skinny Mann
@skinny-mann
11 years ago
3 posts

well, i cut. im not even mad. i like it. i miss the dreads for sure but i got a super fresh cut so im cool.

thanks alot for ur help. this site was a great resource during the 7 months i was locked and even before then while i was growing in anticipation for locking. im sure i will grow locks again someday

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

you shoulda combed now its going to take a year to grow long enough again

--
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

I agree with Soaring Eagle.. But at least when you decide to dread again you know to have a few more.. :) Happy [eventual] dreading my friend. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form