Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting natty dreads w/ short hair.

Marcus De' Andre Davis
@marcus-de-andre-davis
11 years ago
7 posts
Hi everyone, my name is Marcus Davis. I am a 22 year old African American with only an inch of hair. I have been picking my hair and i have a good little fro goin. I am moving to Colorado Spring, Colorado from Phoenix, Arizona in 2 1/2 weeks and I want to get my dreads started before I head out there. Someone please let me know the process on how to start thet, form them and maintain them step by step please! Cuz, im sick and tired of other site telling you to do the wrong things.
updated by @marcus-de-andre-davis: 02/14/15 06:10:31AM
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

Ironic, the other site tells you to do the wrong things and you come to another site to be told what to do:) Time man. The biggest response you will get here is let your hair grow and don't touch it.

Because you are black you probably have in mind brush rubbing or twists right, then interlocking possibly tight roots once they get more mature? I met this cat in San Diego he started out with twists 8 years later cut them off and started natural and just let his hair go.

But if you are wanting typical black thin dreads then neglect might not be for you ad your hair with section on its own, some thins some thick. Your hair may not get nice and tight right away too.

There are some other black guys on here who started their hair about 1-2inches, they were told they did it wrong. I started mine at 3inches 6 months ago and right now my dreads are a little over 6 inches.. I'd first go with just leave them be, but culturally I would say brush rub, your hair is pretty short, and depending on how fast it grows depends on how you want to take care of it. But no wax,

Marcus De' Andre Davis
@marcus-de-andre-davis
11 years ago
7 posts
How often should i do the brush rub method to secure the knots without using rubber bands?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stop picking

let it dread

as it starts to seperate any that form too big

seperate any that try to join together

wash regularly 1-3 times a week with a dread shampoo

thats all there is to it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

once

only once

Marcus De' Andre Davis said:

How often should i do the brush rub method to secure the knots without using rubber bands?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts
If your hair is kinky just once if it isn't then maybe, if you like pain, twice. But once is enough. You are really encouraging them to start their path. If they get too big then separate them. But with mine I had to watch them a lot because mine liked to join at the root. Those lovely loose hairsI use African black soap and shampoo for my hair, it works best for me. Dr Bronners is a tad harsh even diluted.
jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

wat no brush rubing method! yikes even sounds terribly painful lol yeah dont do anything like that shit an never wax!

well since u have African hair type id say section them out as if doing some braiding or such an gently twirl them not tight to scalp tho...and never do it tight just to gather the hair an fluffies to a general section area haha and try the no touch method thats is just leave em alone and wash hair normally no hands or scrubing tho use a liquid dread soap like http://www.dreadlocksshampoo.com pour over head shake and rinse shake about it lol air dry an go they will take while to form to stay in sections but ull see, is tough with such short hair tho may need let it grow just a bit m,ore lol never use hooks or metal combs to form dreads ow very damaging an especially for ur hair type o and never twist ur locks tight to head scalp will pull roots of hair out its like on purpose hair loss i mean who wants that lol can also use a sea salt mis spray u make or find on link i gave u lol:) goodluck so many more details to read of on this site dreaducation pages in gray area top screen and forum posts. for the wash mixes an such:) peace b with u bro ..oh an theres plenty ppl here as members whom are sharing same hair type as u :) ask around

Marcus De' Andre Davis
@marcus-de-andre-davis
11 years ago
7 posts
Im not using any wax. Im just doing the baking soda and acv wash. Im having my girlfriend put rubber bands in my hair after ive brush rubbed to keep the form. Im gonna be puttin a cotton cap on since i dont have a wool cap and im too broke for products.Is this a good route. I cant free form due to me looking for a job once i get to Colorado Springs.
jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

o i c goodluck :) well not too bad lolif u feel need to use bands... take bands out in like 4 days or theyll be pretty stuck an have to cut em out. happy dreading

peace have good trip to ur new home

Marcus De' Andre Davis
@marcus-de-andre-davis
11 years ago
7 posts
Yea, i already took them out. Lol. Im just gonna brush/wool rub for bout a week or two and go from there.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form