Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sleeping with Locs

Melanie Johnson
@melanie-johnson
11 years ago
4 posts

Started my locs 3 mos ago. Sometimes sleep with cap, but I live in a hot, humid area & sweat so much - will this harm my locs? Sometimes sleep with nothing on head, but my hair is long & gets sweaty, so pull it loosely back with elastic ponytail - will this harm my locks? Or should I just sweat on them - sorry to be gross, but just curious...

updated by @melanie-johnson: 01/13/15 09:57:52PM
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

I live in Las Vegas and am very hot blooded. I had always been in the habit of putting my hair up in a pony tail when I slept too, a lot cooler and my hair wasn't in my face. I read on here a couple months into my journey that your hair should be kept down while sleeping so that it tangles more and helps the process. I started wearing my hair down at night and have noticed a big difference. The ponytail bands have a tendency to get stuck in the hair and rubbers will melt into your hair. If I pull it back like to cook or do dishes I use a scrunchy. It's a lot easier to take out, and in my opinion a lot less damaging...I keep it real loose though. I hope this helped some. Good Luck!

Melanie Johnson
@melanie-johnson
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanx, Brandi! I moreorless use a scrunchy loosely. As I said, when wearing it loose I sweat on my hair so much & it's all in my face. Also, can wearing it in a ponytail & attaching fake dreads do harm?

Brandi Wilson said:

I live in Las Vegas and am very hot blooded. I had always been in the habit of putting my hair up in a pony tail when I slept too, a lot cooler and my hair wasn't in my face. I read on here a couple months into my journey that your hair should be kept down while sleeping so that it tangles more and helps the process. I started wearing my hair down at night and have noticed a big difference. The ponytail bands have a tendency to get stuck in the hair and rubbers will melt into your hair. If I pull it back like to cook or do dishes I use a scrunchy. It's a lot easier to take out, and in my opinion a lot less damaging...I keep it real loose though. I hope this helped some. Good Luck!

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

I'm only in my 5th month so I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. I have read so many different posts on here and from what I have read they say not to mess with your hair too much. The more you play with it the more you undo your progress. I'd say leave em alone unless it's like a 1 night thing. Oh by the way I'm a sweater too..lol. I wash every 2-3 days.

Melanie Johnson
@melanie-johnson
11 years ago
4 posts

Melanie Johnson said:

Thanx, Brandi! I moreorless use a scrunchy loosely. As I said, when wearing it loose I sweat on my hair so much & it's all in my face. Also, can wearing it in a ponytail & attaching fake dreads do harm?

Brandi Wilson said:

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

If you can get a fan to just blow gently on your head. I'm similar to you, I can sweat just sitting in a car with the AC on 18! At night I have the fan on my head it helps a lot. My normal temp day is 85f-90f with 75-80%humidity. SO its a tad warm here.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just sweat dont use elastics dont wear a cap

toss them up over the pillow or off to the side so they arent under your back..thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hazanko
@hazanko
11 years ago
27 posts

if you sweat, then just wash them more often. Over time I've learned that acv is useless as long as you know how to properly adjust your BS/water ratios and ''soak'' times. Just completely wet your hair under the shower and move your hair around a little bit, help the natural oils make it to all of your hair. I use a very modest amount of BS compared to the ratios most people post on here. The baking soda doesn't take long to strip oils, so usually it's only in my hair for 30 seconds if that. The whole idea, is to not COMPLETELY strip your hair of the oils, which forces you to replenish them manually. After a wash my hair looks perfectly clean, and it smells like.... hair. I wash my hair anywhere between 2 days to over a week sometimes, depending on weather conditions and how much I sweat and etc. Seems like most people brute force their hair with baking soda every single wash, only to have to ''repair'' it by adding acv.

It's not an exact science, and it may take a little experimenting, but I'd recommend starting by reducing the amount of BS as well as reducing ''soak'' time. ACV is nothing but an added hassle imo, and it seemed like no matter how little I used, my hair always looked extremely greasy even if it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, there may be some people that NEED to use acv if they have very dry scalps or if you have afro-type hair, but at that point maybe I'd recommend using a different washing method.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form