Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Strict parents, rude people & dreadlocks ?

Graciela Moreno
@graciela-moreno
11 years ago
16 posts

I get asked a lot, how my parents reacted for me having dreads. I guess it's because I'm Filipino so it's the stereotypical misconception, that I have strict parents. I'm 16 and I have, not the neatest locks (which I love) :) - my parents really don't mind it. They actually support me and give me a lot of artistic freedom.
I get more hate from other parents, or adults and they tend to make rude comments on my hair or how I look.. I understand, they were probably raised differently... but how can I respectfully brush them off or show them my point of view ? Have you ever gone through a similar situation - what did you say ? How did your parents react to you getting dreads, did you have to convince them or we're they totally for it ? :D I'd love a good story (:

updated by @graciela-moreno: 01/13/15 09:57:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

my mom took 18 years to get her to stop mentioning cutting them every 2 minutes

but my moms weird that way

the best defence against ryde comments is a happy smile

rude comments are usualy made to make you freel bad about your choices but a happy smile shows that no you feel good abput who you are and those comments dont affect you

it disarms them

takes thoer weapons away and renders them defenceless or should i say offencless? they cant offend you if ypu dont get offended just smile a d be happy with who ypu are

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
elsa sabby villalino
@elsa-sabby-villalino
11 years ago
3 posts

i'm a filipinO aswell, my dad keeps on saying that i'm ugLy . i look dirty.

my mOm said that she worries about me, both of them advice me to cut my hair off.

-- i just tell them that, ur my parents u should be the one whO accepts me, u shld'nt criticize me on how I look, because I know u know me better.

then after a year., evrythings ok :)

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts

im Turkish and most parents here from the general public wouldnt want their child to get dreads. but me and my social enviornment is different and more of an upper class so no problem. but my friends do say that i look dirty and ugly but i tell them that its my choice to do it or not. the reason i started my dreads was to take critisizm like a grown up and agree with people who are against them to disagree. :) so just bare in mind that deads help you grow as a person and make u stornger because u do what u love even if people disagree :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form