Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda Grime?

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

So I was doing a BS soak for about 10 minutes, decided to rinse it out and washed my hair with my shampoo bar per usual. I didn't do the ACV rinse this time because I needed to head out shortly and still had a lot to do.

When my hair was dry it felt greasy still, like I had not showered in a while. I began looking at the dreads and trying to see if I could spot any reason and I couldn't see anything. Though, the more I played with them the more I had some grime on my fingertips. I'm thinking the appearance of the grime is from the hair dye that I recently used?

I wash my hair with a residue free shampoo bar, all natural, around 2 - 3 times a week and always blow dry after. One of my larger starter dreads seemed to have still just a tiny little bit of water left in and when I would try and squeeze it, the hair felt almost sticky.

Any ideas? Does skipping the ACV rinse cause this many problems or am I doing something wrong? It sucks to shower and wash and then have your hair still feel yucky afterwards!

Thanks for reading!

updated by @shayla-waychoff: 02/14/15 06:14:59AM
Zachary Tyler
@zachary-tyler
11 years ago
36 posts
This is the 4th post I've seen in the last week dealing with this topic or extremely similar. Most responses say that your not using the right ratios. But I and a few others have replied saying we do use the correct amounts and times. And then the topic never gets disscussed again unfortunately. My hair never feels oily but I seem to have a residue or crude on my scalp always. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or it it's just my body.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if you dyed the hair dont use baking soda as it will strip the color quickly

the grimes from using the wrong ratios

and u shoulda used the acv anyway

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

are you in uk?\ alkaline water wont disolve it properly so use a dread shampoo or boil the water then add the bs while still very hot

Zachary Tyler said:

This is the 4th post I've seen in the last week dealing with this topic or extremely similar. Most responses say that your not using the right ratios. But I and a few others have replied saying we do use the correct amounts and times. And then the topic never gets disscussed again unfortunately. My hair never feels oily but I seem to have a residue or crude on my scalp always. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or it it's just my body.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dreadmojo
@dreadmojo
11 years ago
25 posts

I was getting the same issue when I first started out, do you have hard water? If so that will produce that residue feeling/white gunk on scalp, no matter what ratios you use, how much you rinse, or how long you let it soak believe me I've learned threw trial and error, the problem is a lot of dreadies advise to use the bs/acv rinse without tagging on the warning of the hard water issue, or so I've noticed, what i do is use dreadlockssoap the Dragons blood liquid one, and about once a month I use filterd water for a bs/acv rinse

:) hope this helps

Zachary Tyler
@zachary-tyler
11 years ago
36 posts
Nope I'm in Missouri. And I've boiled water and used bottled water.
Zachary Tyler
@zachary-tyler
11 years ago
36 posts
Thanks dreadmojo. Your the first to say its due to hard water. I've asked if that was the cause so many times lol. Problem is I've boiled the water and used bottle water but it hasn't helped. So looks like I'm out of luck til I have the money for the good shampoo.
Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

I'll make sure that I have time for the ACV rinse from now on. The fading hair color doesn't bother me appearance-wise, it's just fading to a brown.

I boiled the water and then added the baking soda, but I'll try a filtered water from here on out and see if that helps with anything.

Thanks for responding guys, I really appreciate it.

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

Oh, also - I don't have any build up or white gunk on my head. It's when I'm blow drying, the hand that keeps touching the hair repeatedly to move the locks around gets this dark film over my fingertips that I can rub my fingers together and it rolls up, beads up and falls away.

I'm assuming that it's from the hair dye being stripped and loosened since from what I've read the BS stuff causes the white gunk? I don't have anything like build up on my scalp or white gunk.

I'm getting some of the liquid dreadlock shampoo from the website as well.

Again - Thanks! :)

Zachary Tyler said:

. My hair never feels oily but I seem to have a residue or crude on my scalp always. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or it it's just my body.
Nikkiah Simons
@nikkiah-simons
11 years ago
1 posts

I don't wash my hair as frequent as yo shayla, however I still have an oily build up in my dreads. I think mine is soap build up. I've asked several hair stylists in my area how to rinse thoroughly and they told me conditioner actually helps remove shampoo. I'm fully locked been dreading for a little over 2 years but I'm still afraid to get any other weird build up in my dreads. I feel like a denatured alcohol solution would get the gunk out but I wonder how much it would damage my hair... Who thinks I could use something like that and then replenish directly after with some essential oils? Skeered

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form