Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Separating dreads

HippieHybrid
@hippiehybrid
11 years ago
7 posts
Holy Moses my hair is a hot mess! LOL! I'm something like 4 months in and have a fuzz ball! I know this is normal but my question is on separating...I have to do it about every day. I know that could be normal but how long will it need to be so aggressively seperated? I can tell what goes where and don't mess with hair that obviously knows where it's going. There's just a couple areas that make a huge clump and I feel like I may be breaking too many hairs by constantly separating the big bunch. It's a group of 4 that just mat together in a rat's nest almost over night, EVERY night. I assume I sleep pretty hard on that particular section!
updated by @hippiehybrid: 01/13/15 09:57:24PM
HippieHybrid
@hippiehybrid
11 years ago
7 posts
I ramble.. Lol the question is 'is there a point in dread maturity that you won't have to seperate them as often?':D
Jennaleigh Moonflower
@jennaleigh-moonflower
11 years ago
14 posts
Hey there :) rambling is always okay! I tend to ramble too.
SO, the question is do you like congo dreads (multi-dreads in one) or do you like neat sectioned ones. I have one congo and i absolutely love it! I am not sure but I feel like I have herd that wrapping all the dreads in silk, or using a silk pillow case may help this:) DONT BREAK UR HAIR if you must just use a pair of scissors for goodness sake lol that just sounds painful, I know because I have been there. Just the other night my boyfriend and I had a dread separating session. All of them were becoming one big dread for me haha. He has six natural dreads in the back and so I separated his very carefully with scissors. Some people like to not separate but everybody has their own prefrence! Your dreads will be beautiful either way!!
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

Hello, as your dreads mature you wont need to separate them as much, only with new hair growth or loose hairs really. My locks are about a year old and i separate them not even once a week. (more like when im bored at school etc, and I have some crazyy natural dreadies as well) :] Hope I answered your question well enough!

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

I used to be the same, but became lazy and gave up about it... I separate only when I feel I have to, but honestly just leave it, your hair knows how it wants to lock up. keep them the size you want, but I had 3 that kept wanting to join and I resisted for a few months, but gave up and have a really gorgeous dread. Although its kinda big, it actually looks better than how it was as 3 little ones. I would say (as an ex constant separater) do it max once a week otherwise it will drive you crazy, and it will be for no reason though your hair will still keep doing it! I'm on my 8th month of free form so was at your stage not so long ago :)

HippieHybrid
@hippiehybrid
11 years ago
7 posts
Thanks! I want them to pretty well do as they please but this on section is just a true rebel! Lol I love the rest of my head! I originally began organic locks just as a kind of 'vanity fast' ad thought I may not kep them forever but who knows! My husband isn't wild about them and sometimes I miss running my fingers through my ponytail but life's too short not to try new things. I've always thought the organic 'hippie' look was beautiful even before I knew that 'hippie' was a word :)And it doesn't hurt to just pull them. I guess I just don't want to completely ruin my hair in case I feel like I've received whatever lesson I felt led to find and want to comb them out. (Which I hear isn't an easy task...LOL)
SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
11 years ago
58 posts
Our hair tends to knot very easy so the separating issue was not fun for us. We are only two months in and had to tackle his congos with scissors. Since his hair was tight enough at a month when it was done, there wasn't much fallout surprisingly since it was about 1/2 an inch thick beaver tail with no holes. Already we don't need to pull them but lightly once a day. It gets better if you stick with it.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form