Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A tough week with dreadlocks

Lauren Cronister
@lauren-cronister
11 years ago
10 posts
This past week I've had to fight the urge to brush out my dreads. They just haven't been looking the way I want them to, and my bangs are at a really awkward length and lay weird with my dreads. Anyway, I'm not brushing them out! No worries. I'd regret it so much if I did. I'm just now at 6 months so I know I just need to be patient and let my hair do its thing. Has anyone else had days/weeks like that?
updated by @lauren-cronister: 01/13/15 09:56:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

nope never have but then again i never look in a mirror either

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Star Mercer
@star-mercer
11 years ago
34 posts

I'm 11 months into my 3rd set of dreads. Why? Because I combed out my first two sets. I wasn't happy with them, but there were alot of factors that caused me to do it. I was worried how they looked, I couldn't remember to separate them so they started to congo, I couldn't stand the smell of baking soda(I was pregnant).... and believe it or not, I felt like my husband didn't think I was as pretty with dreadlocks. :( When I started my dreads almost a year ago, I was worried that I would get the "urge" again. I am happy to say that I haven't had it once over the last year. Even at a year, I have days when I hate they way they look, but I have to remind myself why I started dreading my hair in the first place; to let go of control. I am OCD and have been diagnosed with BPD, both interrupt my life on a regular basis. My dreads have taught me so much over this past year. Its not about how others look at you or think about you, it matters how you feel. I have been told that "You're trying to be black!", "You're a hippy!", and even been called a stoner, pot head, or just plain dirty. I know otherwise! My hair means more to me than nay of those people could ever know, so I just brush them off. :) I know you said you wouldn't but I hope you don't comb out your babies. Theres so much potential to learn and grow from them!

Lauren Cronister
@lauren-cronister
11 years ago
10 posts
Thanks so much for your reply! It really helped me. My dreads do mean a lot to me, and have already taught me a lot. They help me because I used to be really obsessive about my hair looking good all the time. They force me to let go and embrace my natural self! No matter if I don't think I look good with them some days I won't take them out. They're too much a part of me now. Your story with your dreads inspired me a lot (::
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Nah, not so much anymore...but I'm just too lazy to care about the aesthetic appeal of my hair. XD Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Growing dreadlocks is a wonderful journey for the soul. The journey to get mature dreadlocks does something to us, teaches us that our hair does not have to look perfect all the time. Many many members on this site have had bad days, bad weeks, but we toughen up buttercup, we get through it. I had an entire month and a half where my daughter called me a Troll, & I did look like I lived under a bridge. What did I do during that time, at home I did not give a shit, but when I went out I just wore a nice loose tam, had a few colors maded for those times.....The journey to healthy mature dreads is not instant, but the reward is amazing. Just think, by the two year mark you will have the dreadlocks you always envisioned, ones that will last you for life, ones that others will admire for their sheer beauty. Hang in there, knit a tam and put in on, or ask an elderly neighbor to make one for you, they love to knit. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. To help you out, just come on here and bitch, complain, get it out of your system...Mine looked so bad that I have no pics of it, to wild for me....but I got through it and love love love mine now.....Here is a hug from all of us...peace

HippieHybrid
@hippiehybrid
11 years ago
7 posts
LOL! I like 'dread mom'! :) I came on here to vent my frustrations as well! My hair looked so pretty the first 2 months and I'm now in month 3 and the back is a fuzzy mess!it looks pretty rough. But I am hanging in there! I have some Buff headbands (the full Buff) that I pull down over the back at night but it's still so ratty!
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Ah shucks, I like "Dread Mom" too. Thanks Jules & HippieHybrid If my husband ever gets a cord for his phone, I can post all the pics of my dreads. They look so different now and I have many pics of the last few months showing the changes. Mine are fantastic now, the messy days are gone forever. A few are mature now, looks like the rest will be mature by my 2 year mark...peace

Lauren Cronister
@lauren-cronister
11 years ago
10 posts
Thank you so much barrel lady! And everyone else who replied! You guys helped me so much. You're really like a family. I love it. Your support has helped me so much with my dread journey :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form