Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Pirate Captain Starr, an intro

Dylan Avius Starr
@dylan-avius-starr
11 years ago
6 posts
Hello I am Starr, and I am new around hereI am a pirate at heart and recently got dreads (second time, first time is another story) anyways I have week old dreads and am doing it mostly natural, I got my hair back combed to start them and it took 19 total hours my hair is very long and thick or well was haha. I did it at a salon after taking 6-8 hours of research, they back combed off the bat and put rubber bands on the ends and pulled them thru the roots, I recent undid the bands on roots and pulled the dreads back thru the roots. It already looks way better, I washed for the first after 6 days, and didn't use any shampoo but then dried them with a blow dryer. They dried well and look great, it's now been 8 days and haven't washed yet. I did order dry shampoo an wonder if it's worth it to use. I plan in gettin the Sea salt water and the Baking Soda and Apple cider vinegar stuff but not sure how to use them yet. Any help would be nice. Also I don't use wax or palm roll now. I heard those wee bad so I don't do it. Anyways how do I fight the itch? Lol sometimes it's itchy but it's not unbearable or anything. Also do I leave the ends alone? After taking the bands out they are a Lil curly on ends.Thanks for letting me be part of this wonderful family
updated by @dylan-avius-starr: 02/03/18 03:17:02PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Glad you rectified what the salon did, sounds like they did interlocking or something(?), not sure but if so, it's a really bad method, so great that you undid it.

I can't help you on the baking soda or apple cider vinegar, but I know that with the sea salt spray, you only want to leave it on your hair for an hour or two before you rinse it out, otherwise it can dry the hair and/or scalp. Don't be afraid to wash your hair often though, dreads love water! You'll notice how good the water is at helping dreads form, and of course, clean hair dreads better anyway, so washing your hair two or three times a week will be good.

The ends, just leave them as they are. For a lot of people, the ends stay loose, so they're a bit wispy and undreaded at the ends (which is fine, because the rest of the dread will be dreaded, so nothing will come undone). For some people, the ends blunt themselves, and for some, they get a mix of both. Either way, they ends will be OK :)

As for the itch...when you do the apple cider vinegar after the baking soda, you can add some essential oils. I have a shampoo with tea tree oil, and I think that's the one that helps with dandruff and etc. I could be wrong, but I know that some of those essential oils are great for easing dandruff and itchiness. I have terrible eczema, and my scalp is hardly ever itchy anymore, so if it helps me, it should help you.

Dylan Avius Starr
@dylan-avius-starr
11 years ago
6 posts
Thanks so much for all the help
Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

Also don't forget to do the final rinse with cold water, it will close the pores on your scalp and won't dry your skin out like hot water (if that's what you use). You should also keep in mind that it may take some time for your scalp to adjust to its new environment and pH level.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form