Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Silly bar soap question

Adrian Ozymandias
@adrian-ozymandias
11 years ago
8 posts

Today I have kind of a stupid question. I just received the dreadlocks shampoo bar and I don't really know hot to use it. This is in fact the first time I have ever needed to use a bar soap. Do I just smear it in my dreads or something, how much do i use? Anyway, thank you all for always anwsering my quesiton.

updated by @adrian-ozymandias: 01/13/15 09:56:34PM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Wet hair thoroughly

Part hair and rub wet bar of soap on the scalp down that whole stripe of scalp you've exposed. I find it easier to grab the soap with my whole hand to where the widest flat part of the soap is what I'm rubbing on my scalp. It snags dreads less frenquently(ouch!) than if you use the smaller end.

move over one lock's width and separate hair again, rub wet bar of soap on the scalp.

move over...etc... etc. until whole head is done.

Wet hair a bit again. Rub the bar all over the rest of your hair.

Now take really wet hands and rub with your fingers all in your scalp. Really go at it if you want to take care of any itchies you have.

Rinse well.

If you don't get big lather the first time then repeat. You'll defiinitely have big lather the second time! Mostly only newbies who're switching over or those dreadies who have done sweaty dirty work have to wash more than once. It's the oils that have built up. Once you get fluffy lather then you know you're dealing with squeaky clean hair and not a dirty oily mess.

Enjoy!!

I love my bar soap. I get mine from Mosalu on Etsy.

Just one little note of warning: as your bar wears down, check your scalp for small chunks of soap. It breaks off sometimes. You end up finding it pretty fast on your own anyway, but I just thought I'd give you a heads up. Soap flakes off the bar sometimes as it gets smaller and softer. It gets stuck in dreads. It happens. Just wet that area of your head and get it out. Seriously, it's no biggie. I've only had it happen to me twice in the past six months.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wow thats alotta work i just do mine in 1/4s legt front riight front left back right back ..oh and beard

most ppl dont have "rows" to devide em in so just a handfull like 1/4 of your heads good

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MoorZ
@moorz
11 years ago
46 posts

Just rub the bar on you head. Lather your hands and scrub scalp. that's what I do.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Maybe I'm just really anal retentive about washing every inch of my scalp? lol But seriously, it takes me all of two minutes max to get it all on my head and lathered up before I rinse. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. The more time that passes that I use bar soap on my head the faster I get at it.

And yeah, most of us don't have 'rows' per say but they do line up in freaky ways I've noticed. Very convenient when washing. :) Thank you Mother Nature!

Dewy
@dewy
11 years ago
5 posts

Hi Adrian,

Im a user of cake soaps for my dreads (for about 9 years or so now) and to be honest i didnt know either!!! However for me, i find the best way to get a good lather and coverage is to wet my dreads (which takes a while these days lol) then rub the cake of soap onto the top of my head to start, then use fingers to work it through the roots and scalp at the top of my head, then throw all of my dreads to the left, and do the same on the left hand side, then the same with the right...i must admit i struggle to get the back done, as i havent separated them at the back for a while, so i tend to use fingers to transfer the soap to the back. Once the scalp is done, i give a light rub of soap to the length of my dreads, rub, then rinse.....and rinse......and rinse.....you get the idea :)

Diego F.
@diego-f
11 years ago
73 posts

The bars leather a lot, so be careful, sometimes it feels like there's no leather, but if you look in the mirror, you'll see

Just gently ROLL the bar over your hair 2 times without making too much pression [yes, that's the way i do, and it lather very well], than gently massage your scalp where you can for 2 minutes, then rinse it a lot.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form