Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

WHAT CAUSES MOLD? HOW TO PREVENT IT?

Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

I take showers at night, how can I prevent mold? ALSO i hear getting your hair wet everyday is bad even if your not washing it how can I prevent it from getting wet although it does some inevitable since it is a shower you know?

updated by @bountdoom: 01/13/15 09:56:33PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Use a showercap, so you can shower without getting your hair wet except on the days you wash them. I'd recommend washing them in the day so they have time to dry, because ideally you don't want to go to sleep with wet/damp dreads (nor have them tied back or in a hat or etc.), but the main thing is that they're dry in-between washes. So they're not constantly damp.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Mold loves wet hair that's trapped between your head and the pillow, so you may want to switch to morning showers as your hair gets longer/locks up more.

Um...I just don't put my head under the shower?

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Hello, moisture causes mold. when your hair stays damp constantly or for very long durations there are chances that mold might set in. this may not be that much of a problem when u are just starting out, but once ur dreadlocks get mature they take much longer to dry and that is the reason why you shouldnt be washing them evryday. Don't even wash them at night because if u sleep with damp hair it increases the chances of mold. Wash them during the day and give enough time for them to dry. leave enough days between washes so that ur dreads are completely dry from inside too. washing 2-3 times a week is just fine..

Dry them under the sun. Sunlight is one the most hostile environment for mold. Also u can use essential oils like lavender, clove, cinnamon or any other oil that has antifungal properties. these kill mold spores. hope this helps.

Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

thank you

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

wax is the biggest cause then tyoing em up or putting on a tam when damp

simple solution dont shower every day shower the days u wash your dreads

and in the morn/afternoon if u can

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amanda12
@amanda12
11 years ago
46 posts

I put My hair in a bun in the shower and its stays mostly dry/ dries quickly. I hate showers in the morning but there is no rule that you need to wash your hair in the shower. I wash my hair in the sink (before 4pm) and usually shower at night.

james varner
@james-varner
11 years ago
12 posts

once my hair got too long for a shower cap i started using a plastic shopping bag as a shower cap. . . . . . just throwin it out there

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Yup. Put your hair up in a bun high up on your head as you can get it. Or if it's still in between your shoulders and your ears then make several lumpy little half-through pony tails. Like, take a rubber band or small scrunchie and act like you're making a simple ponytail. But instead of pulling the hair all the way through only pull it halfway through. This works especially well if your hair isn't long enough to twist around in a bun. do that all over your head and you're good to go.

Your just going to have to suck it up that you have to wash your hair in the morning or in the early afternoon/

Don't use a blowdrier on your dreads, either, unless you're on bedrest or it's an absolute emergency. You'll kill your hair.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form