Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock myths debunked

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I don't really know why I feel like starting this discussion. Most of us know the facts, since we have locks. But I saw a film tonight that showed a bunch of people with locks. Some were amazing and completely natural. Others were obviously tampered with.

So I feel like asking you guys: What are your favorite/least favorite myths about locks? Those ones that the mainstream media tells us, that are completely untrue. This can include ones your read about on other sites, see in videos, even just the ignorant comment you hear on the street.

updated by @baba-fats: 02/03/18 12:46:52PM
Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

"So what, you just dont wash it and it eventually knotts up?"

"How will you find a job with those?"

"White people cant have dreadlocks"

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

that must take a long time to undo them and redo them everytime you take a shower

hey you you must know where i can score some drugs

you know girls only like guys with short hair clean cut and conservative

you know you'll have to cut them when spiders lay eggs in them

oh ofcourse theres the urban legend that bob marley had 38 undiscovered species of bugs in his dreads when he died (like man that would rather die then lose a toe would ever alow an autopsy)

so what you just put peanutbutter and eggs and toothpaste in your hair and it turns out like that?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
'I can't believe your hair smells so good! Kind of ironic that you're trying to get dreads huh?'
Ahmed Abdellah
@ahmed-abdellah
11 years ago
8 posts

- Do you twist them every time you shower?

- I heard people use soda for dreads, did you use some?

- You're never going to get married/a job...

- Do you want some weed?

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

That is not even a dread (my 16 year old step son, pointing to flat fat one)

That one is (pointing to a rounder one)

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

The assumption that people with dreads are either Rastas or hippies, both of whom MUST smoke weed.

But the worst one is that only black people can dread, or more importantly, that black people are the only ones who should have dreads, and any other race are just copying their culture, making a mockery of their history and blah blah. Because everyone knows black people are the only people in the history of the world whose culture has had dreads lol.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
11 years ago
336 posts

The "don't wash your hair myth"....UUUGGHHH I hate that one, lol!

Amanda said:

"Caucasian hair can't dread naturally."

"Isn't the point of dreadlocks so you don't have to wash your hair?"..."I thought you weren't suppose to wash dreads."..."Not washing your hair is what makes them dread."

"You are going to get spiders living in your hair! I knew a guy...blah blah"

"You must smoke weed!"

"I bet you love reggae music!"

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

"white people's hair can't dread, it only matts" the one which annoys me the most...

"free forming isn't a real way to get dreadlocks, dreads can only be made" -by a friend who never has had dreads and believes he knows everything in the world.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Oh, I don't know where, but I saw someone on the Internet say that God intended dreads to be made, not grown lol. The things people come out with.

Sunflower said:

"white people's hair can't dread, it only matts" the one which annoys me the most...

"free forming isn't a real way to get dreadlocks, dreads can only be made" -by a friend who never has had dreads and believes he knows everything in the world.

updated by @tara-c: 07/22/15 07:11:06AM
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form