Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help me... I don't know what to do.....

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Hi friends, i do not know if i have put this in the right category.. Well i am kinda on an emotional seesaw currently regarding my 10.5 month old dreads. I dont know how to speak this out here, because it is really embarrassing for me. We were in a friend's farewell party the last night. We had a few drinks and had a great time and were standing on the street just talking general stuff. All of us had had alcohol.. but believe me, none of us were really 'drunk'.. It was night time and all of us were just about to leave when the cops of our area who were on their patrolling routine encountered us. They took us to the local police station for questioning us.

We all are students, coming from good family backgrounds, having no criminal history whatsoever, and none of us had even seen a police station before in our lives. We had alcohol which we straight away admitted and told the cops that we were just about leave. The cops though seemed to be very adamant in doing what they wanted to do to us.. they took one of us in an inner room and started bashing him up. Another cop who actually was the head-in-charge of the whole police station turned up to me and asked why i have long hair? he certainly wasn't very thrilled with the fact that i had long hair and took me and my appearance very very negatively. He held them in front of everybody, pulled me ruthlessly by my hair and kept doing it until it got unbearably painful... he did this 4 times for around maybe a minute each (i mean it, it really got unbearable after a few seconds each time.)

They let us go after some time when all their formalities were done with. My scalp is sore at the moment. It is hurting right now too while i'm writing this. I am in an emotional as well as physical turmoil. I dont know what to do. There is this persistent itchy and painful irritation in my scalp. He must have uprooted i don't how many hundreds of my hair by doing that.. :(Should i cut my hair and start over again...? :( I really don't know what to do. I really don't know where i even went wrong in the whole incident... I just had long hair... nothing else... :(

updated by @ojas-acharya: 11/10/15 02:43:37PM
Shane Northern
@shane-northern
11 years ago
59 posts

Wow man...I'm sorry to hear about this incident. Police brutality. It's so crazy that even the people who are supposed to uphold justice judge and bully so easily. I don't know about restarting your dreads, I'm still new to my journey and still learning myself. But I can tell you...let this make you stronger as a person. People fear what they don't understand. People like this are much lower on the totem pole. They don't know what life is really worth. They only know if you're a bit different you, must be under them. Sorry I don't know exactly how to put what I want to say into words without completely condemning others...This story really upset me. But If you need help I'm here bro. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 dont but your hair

2 file a report against them

let me tell you a lil story

years ago i was involved in the squatting movement i had opened houses that are still open nearly 30 years later 1 time we were opening a firehouse for the homeless me and the church deavon and a dozen others were in there cleaning up when in burts a dozen cops they physicaly and verbaly abused us 1 said to my girlfreind i wouldnt fuck that butch with a loaded gun

8 hours of abuse and harrassment (we were breaking no laws we were working within laws enacted by the mayer)

the very next day im sitting in the mayers action center a very sweet woman who was the head of the action centers got me at her desk as guys with business suites kept interupting so she stands up gets in thier faces and ays you think just cause u got a suite on your times worth more then him just cause hes got dreads? anyway long story short she filed complaints against all the cops

and gave us insider info she shouldnt have on a bar and hoteml we used for our next proiject (free or pay what u want resteraunt library and tutoring for the homeleess and a dozen rooms for transitioning from homeless to hoysing

at the hotel the same cops came daily because a stupid skingead stabbed someone and they just wanted to make sure that he didnt drop by but this time they were super friendlky we were on 1st name basis and 1 even let me help him stake out a purse snatcher (funny thing is the cop vanished i ended up in a bar having drinks with the purse snatcher and sneaking off every 5 min to call the cop and let him know where he was and what he was doing..lol)

anywho point is thet wull abuse you if they think they can if they think your scared enough to not fight back (not physicaly ofcourse) u need to know the law and how to talk to them

step 1 when the cop stoped you did he say come here i want to talk to you? you can say no dont give consent to talk to him (unless you want to in a freindly way wich is what i do i joke around with them treat em like a frind but then again..i dont drink)

then if they try to take you down to the precinct ask am i being detained am i under arrest on what charges (dont be beligerent)

if they dont read you your rights and put u under atrest jusrt say if im not under arrest am i free to go

if they say no we want to ask you some questions say no i will not answer any quesations without a lawyer pressent so ami being detained do you have probable cause to hold me or am i free to go

google rap 420 wait 1 sec

http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/info/rap420.html

rap 420 is mosrtly aboput getting to a gatherimg withouit harrassment but it also relates to how to deal with cops that abuse power

its not guaranteed to prevent abuse however any abuse after using this method is clearly ilegal and will get u off as well as get the cops involved in trouble

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Wow, I'm so sorry you've had such a horrible experience, Ojas, must have been scary as well as distressing :( it's disgusting that people can abuse their power and authority so freely. I'd leave your hair alone, you're probably speaking from a point of emotional stress, so give it some time. Hopefully someone can give you some advice on how to soothe the pain on the scalp, but I definitely wouldn't start over, I don't think it's so bad that you'd need to start again.

I hope you can see someone about bringing them to justice in some way, although I know that's a hard thing to do.

Devin Warren
@devin-warren
11 years ago
1 posts
Damn man I'm really sorry to hear all that happened to you. You seem like you're a cool cat. I would just wait it out and see what would happen or even pull them back into a tam so that they aren't weighing down onto your scalp. Best of luck brother
Rafael Rodriguez
@rafael-rodriguez
11 years ago
41 posts

Well to answer your question, do not start over. If hair falls out, new one will grow, if the stay there, even if weak, the dread will form, if for whatever reason it falls over the years it will be at the point were it was uprooted as you say but by then you will have another strong dread left behind even if shorter. So overall even if some break off somewhere you wont have to start over. Uneven length is the worst case scenario I can think of at the moment.

Also, file a report on them, even if you were drinking, that is not excuse of them to treat any of you like that, that is abuse, and discrimination, maybe even personal assault in your case.

Emily Storey
@emily-storey
11 years ago
12 posts
wow I actually just cried a little reading this. I might be a known softy but man, you're strong. Please don't start your dreads again, if anything they're a symbol of your strength and resistance against what happened. I'm a newbie so I can't offer much advice except, stay strong and definitely file a complaint! Love, solidarity and peace. And a hug too, if you'd like :)
Ahmed Abdellah
@ahmed-abdellah
11 years ago
8 posts

I'm very sorry to hear this story, yet another police brutality story, in another spot of earth.

You would never need to cut your hair, just leave it and time will heal, should take couple of days to be alright, the dread will get weak spot depends on the amount of hair removed...

I'm not sure what's the hell wrong with authority and long hair, back in 2011 and 2012 there was protests and riots over here at Egypt, cops arrested and abused lots of peaceful protesters, they completely cut the hair of every single longhaired friend I've known, not only that but they bullied them badly.

I just don't know what's the hell wrong with cops, why don't they just do their job professionally? why don't they stop abusing innocent people and focus on real armed criminals instead?

Anyway, just forget this and keep your head up ;)

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
11 years ago
86 posts

Well brother Ojas I can't really say much that hasn't been said already. You are strong dude, police brutality is something we the people not only of the US but of the world have to deal with because it is a shame that we cannot trust those who are there supposedly to protect us. That was abuse of their power and discrimination towards you and your beliefs(growing long hair/dreads). Just pray for those who have hurt you because they don't know what they are doing with their lives. I'll be praying for you man hope everything turns out for the best just stay positive and keep on growing those dreads, as many ppl said already the pain will go away and the hair will regrow.

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

sounds terrible yea cops corrupt many places they think they can rule over all without follows laws themselves sometimes. here too usa its bad. but sorry to hear an have u gone through that not cool or fun im sure! ur dreads will be ok if anything look lil scruffy frizzy loose ones sticking out an such is very possible

if anything i think in my opinion that the extra loose hair that may have uprooted will allow to form dreads even better faster because the loose hairs that naturally fall out an tangle to dread form is wat keeps them growing longer an into dreads essentially well big role in the whole process anyhow lol

an my advice for u as a person human ect trying live ur life with dreads long hair ect and choosing to drink and have good time with friends is daylight hun stay within daylight and out of any streets lol my grandfather always used to tell me nothing good happens after dark lol we dont belong out after dark haha bad things always happen he'd say lol he was right of course almost always is that way haha definitely dont go fearing the dark or fearing being outside in dark tho now haha

live gos on and the shity people unfortunately increase it shittyness haha and us good folks tend to exist and stick together. definitely stick together with our type lol haha we always take care of our own :) peace

goodluck to u take care ...ur locks will be fine an beautiful my friend

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form