Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

baby dreads, questions :)

WC~baby~dreads
@wcbabydreads
11 years ago
8 posts

Hey, Im new here, just posted in intros and I have a few questions :)

just started my dread journey, babies are a week old today :) blog about them

I have very curly hair and did the twist n rip method because I liked the look of them best from my research. they seem to be ok other than the ends are loosening quite a bit...so without further adieu:

1. should I be retwist n ripping the ends or DONT TOUCH? and why, why not?

2. if I have oily scalp and always had issues with dandruff and itches what should I use to wash them during the baby stage, and how often to start out? I have read "not for the first month" "2-3 times a week", "leave it for a week or two".....so many different ideas and I am not sure what is best for the baby stage

3. I read on a blog that it was okay to do criss cross wraps as they don't restrict the dreads in their process...is that true (my keyboard question,mark is being weird so I will no longer use it for the duration of this post LOL) so I would love the wrap all my little dreads in criss cross embroidery thread to help tame the frizzies since with my curly hair they are starting to look really frizzy

4. also read that it is ok to use aloe on baby dreads for frizzies, but then somewhere else I read that that was a bad idea for baby dreads....so much conflicting info!

5. sea salt sprays...yay or nay again conflicting opinions for baby dreads

thanks to anyone who tackles my questions :)

updated by @wcbabydreads: 02/14/15 12:53:51PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

This is the best site on the web for all the truth you need to grow healthy dreadlocks. I will answer your questions for you:

1. Don't touch the ends at all, they need to loosen up in order to dread. Twist & Rip are not dreads at all, they are only a starter method to your future dreadlocks. If you retwist, you will set back the maturing stage each and every time, always taking a step back. You did the roadmap, now let them be.
  2. The best dread shampoos out there are from www.dreadlockshampoo.com . They were created by a member on this site. You will find many testimonials on her shampoos and bars, made with natural ingredients. There is also a baking soda wash / apple cider vinegar rinse you can use, I used it for my entire first year: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/ratios-baking-soda-wash-apple-cider-vinegar-rinse-sea-salt-mix You will find that with dreadlocks, you oil production will slow down. I had oily hair also and now I do not, only around my hairline. In the beginning months you do wash 2-3 times a week. Why? Hair dreads quicker when getting wet, dreads love clean hair. Any oils in the hair will cause knots to slip out, so you don't want oily hair. The more you wash the faster you dread. It is only when dreads are mature that you should wash once a week as they can take 24 hours to dry. But not so when starting out, they dry so much quicker.
  3. Yes, this method: XXXXXXX allows the hair to still loop and shrink to become mature dreads. If wrapped completely tight, the hairs in the sections are restricted and can't turn into dreadlocks. That is the best way to wrap them XXXXXXX You can use embroidery thread or hemp. You can't avoid the frizzies, just part of the process we all go through. It will only last about a month.
  4. Aloe only lasts a few hours, so great for a special occasion. The best Aloe is right from the plant, next best can be found in health food stores in the refrigerated section. But dreads don't need this daily. If you want to use a conditioner, use the ACV rinse as listed on the link I gave you.
  5. Sea Salt sprays work fantastic, it is an accelerator to dreads. Again, the ratio is on the link. You live in BC, the ocean water is the best to use, so go for a swim! If you do, just remember to rinse out the salt water within 2 hours......

Hope this helped you out...peace

WC~baby~dreads
@wcbabydreads
11 years ago
8 posts

thank you!! I will wash my hair tonight! I only waited this first week so hopefully that didn't mess it up too much...so when you say that twist n rip isn't actual dreads....how does this work then? will each one come undone and redread sort of? but they kinda stick to the original sectioning?...I guess it is confusing to me to hear that they are not real dreadlocks when it is called the twist n rip dreadlock method LOL...now im confused!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 no dont tnr the ends that will only continualy reset progress to day 1 from here on leave em alone

2 wash only silly ppl think they shouldnt wash in fact washing is what helps dreads dread..in fact washing is all you ever needed to do to dread

3 yea its ok but why bother they are fine withouit it too

4aloes ok on afriocan dreads on other hair types well..if u got a wedding to go to use it to tidy up otherwise dont its conditioning and slows progresss

5 sea salts great but dont over use dont leave in too long it can fry your hair and scalp

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
WC~baby~dreads
@wcbabydreads
11 years ago
8 posts

thanks :)...I noticed on www.dreadlocksoap.com they have a salt accelerator, is that a leave in product or should you still wash out?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well its safer to leavein because it has added vitamins and proteins so id say u could probly go either way tho id tey a few hours at 1st see how your hair react

--
WC~baby~dreads
@wcbabydreads
11 years ago
8 posts

oh and another question, when I did them I guess I grabbed some hair from the base of one section and accidently put it into a different dread...so as they grow longer there will be like a ladder attaching them at one point....I would prefer they not be attached, should I try and take those two out and re tnr or should I cut the hair on one of them close to the dread and hope for the best?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

rip em apart u will alwayds always always get hairs from 1 dread attaching to another so pull the 2 dreads away from eachother

thos is seperating aka ripping or popping its the only recomended maintenance to avoud massive dreads

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Twist & rip dreads are a method to future dreads. They will not stay looking as they do, they will not stay as long as they are right now, they will not stay as thin as they are now. Many of mine did stay in, but they did also loosen. They are a starter method. When you see a few months down the road all the action they go through, you will be amazed how different they are. Once mature, then they look like actual dreads. Check out this link to see the crazy shapes that happen during the journey: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/weirdest-shaped-dread-competition?page=6&commentId=3754945%3AComment%3A1684846&x=1#3754945Comment1684846

These shapes are all from members journeys to mature dreads, whether it be neglect method, T&R or back, combing....peace

WC~baby~dreads said:

thank you!! I will wash my hair tonight! I only waited this first week so hopefully that didn't mess it up too much...so when you say that twist n rip isn't actual dreads....how does this work then? will each one come undone and redread sort of? but they kinda stick to the original sectioning?...I guess it is confusing to me to hear that they are not real dreadlocks when it is called the twist n rip dreadlock method LOL...now im confused!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form