Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoo? For starting dreadlocks?

Jambi.
@jambi
11 years ago
43 posts

I have some "Anti-Residue Shampoo" i noticed while looking around at all my shampoos. Is this worth using? Or should i stay away from it? And if i can use it... Since i only wash my hair about once a week maybe a little longer should i just use that Shampoo everytime i wash it? Should i dilute it in water when i use it?

Oh and another question ive been reading about the baking soda and ACV rinse.. Is sea salt a must have? because if it is i would have to buy some.

Or is it okay to just use BS and ACV Without the sea salt?

updated by @jambi: 01/13/15 09:56:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no anti residue is a residue stripper not non residjue in fact it has its own residue and its the most toxic shampoo there is only safe to use about 4 times a year get these www.dreadlockshampoo.com they are by far the best but theres dozens of options in our shops (tho if u got hard water id use the dreadlockshampoo.com)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no sea salts totaly optional

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jambi.
@jambi
11 years ago
43 posts

Okay thank you

Jambi.
@jambi
11 years ago
43 posts

How often should i do the ACV + BS rinse? Ive heard people say once every few months and ive heard some say once every couple weeks and i dont know really how often to do it.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Good dreadies with clean scalp and happy dreads wash every 2-3 days max. So that's 2-3 times a week.

1 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a squeezie bottle(like the kind you'd find in a box of hair dye) is PERFECT for hair your length. No need to make more than that. Shoot it in your roots and then the rest of the length of your hair, let it sit for five minutes, rub your scalp with your fingers(if you want), and then rinse. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

For the ACV, some people do it while others don't. It DOES balance the ph of your scalp but it can also be too moisturizing for some people. Trial and error. I quit doing it after four months because it made my scalp feel kinda oily. But it's a trade off. I had to deal with drier hair. You have to do what feels best for you.

Generally speaking, it's 1 cup of water + 1/2 - 1 whole teaspoon of ACV. Do this after the baking soda is completely rinsed out of your hair. You just have to let the ACV rinse sit on your head for about thirty seconds before rinsing.

I advise adding any essential oils you want to your baking soda. Others say you should put it in your ACV and others say that a spray bottle works best.

Whatever you choose, use caution. You can use 3 drops of basil and feel a good cleansing tingle but use up to 10 drops of lavender and feel like you're in a spa. If you tried to do the same thing with basil you'd be screaming with a burned scalp. See? Every essential oil has their own attributes. Use caution. But have fun experimenting. I never would have thought to use basil in my hair but I had some in the closet and was running low on my lavender and hey! I learned of a new way to easy itchies! Basil is great for it. Interesting how that works out.

Have fun with it. Trial and error is how we all learn but you've come to a great resource, Back2Dreading.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

EASE itchies, not easy itchies. Sheesh, my fingers were typing faster than my brain.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sea Salt is an accelerator to help lock up the dreads. Totally optional, but if you do use it, you can do it in spray form or head soaks. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/ratios-baking-soda-wash-...

The more you wash, the faster you get to mature dreads :)

Back2Dreading. said:

How often should i do the ACV + BS rinse? Ive heard people say once every few months and ive heard some say once every couple weeks and i dont know really how often to do it.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

In order for the scalp to really exfoliate when using the Baking Soda wash, the optimum time is 10 minutes minimum. Any time shorter than that does not allow the BS to finish doing its thing. I would worry that with 5 minutes only not enough exfoliation would happen. Do this as soon as you get in the shower and then go about your business doing everything else. I'm sure you can find something to do in there for 10 minutes...no details please...........peace

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

I just try and stick with what I know when it comes to the shampoo! Usually anything advertised.. I count as a lie. >_>

I get my all natural dread shampoo bar soaps from a seller here on the dreadlocksite, via the link that SE posted. Can't go wrong with natural/homemade! :D

Good luck!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form