Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

It's been 2 months? :( Please help me!!!

Lydia Wong
@lydia-wong
11 years ago
6 posts

Tomorrow will be the end of 2nd month. Right, it's been two months, and my hair isn't dreading? I mean, after a few days of not washing my hair, they'll sort of like section out into small pieces. But it could also be the oil that is sticking them together or something. Also, every time after shower, my hair kinda loosens up. :( *sigh I REALLY don't know what to do now. I'm beyond frustrated to the point where I'm DESPERATE. WHYYYY???!!! T^T PLEASE HELP THIS YOUNG SOUL.

Anyway, I've got some pictures of my unwashed for 5 days hair. Can you see? The strips? Please, any advice or whatsoever?! :<

updated by @lydia-wong: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Moon Raven
@moon-raven
11 years ago
32 posts

Hi Lydia, I'm new to dreads myself, a month in, you said you have been washing your hair, what kind of shampoo are you using? The best shampoo to use is one that is organic & contains non of the fillers that soften the hair. I use & love the products from dreadlockshampoo.com

I also don't wash my hair much I do however use the BS rinse & follow with the ACV rinse, this will help an oily scalp, in time, & still leave the hair clean & better able to dread. I also use a sea salt spray twice a week.

Dreads don't happen over night & for some it takes longer... this is where one learns patience. 8) It looks as though your hair is sectioning, dreads & knots will come & go until they decide to stay.

I'm sure someone will come & help you even more.

Blessings

Bryneen Gary2
@bryneen-gary2
11 years ago
1 posts

It can take 5- 7 Months

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

We all start to get knots at different times. Check out a members page http://www.dreadlockssite.com/profile/Ixchel?xg_source=activity She took a long time to get knots, but she did, so have patience. Chris above suggested using wax to help you out.....WELL....there are so many problems to that which Chris will learn down the road and regret using it. It does not allow your hair to dread and knot, it glues the hair together. It holds in lint and smells and water pockets which will cause mold eventually. Patience is what you need.

Now, what are you washing with. If you are using a regular shampoo. many of those have a built in conditioner of some type to leave the hair silky. This will prevent knots from forming. The more you wash, the faster you dread. Knots like clean hair. That is why it is recommended to wash 2-3 days in the first few months. The scalp produces oil which causes any forming knots to slip out, so you want to keep it clean. Oh, did I say don't use wax???of course I did.

Dreading takes 1-2 years, and in two months it is nothing to worry about to have no knots. But yeah, let us know what you are using and list the ingredients, it could be as simple as your shampoo. Are you tying up your hair often, that will slow it down also. What is your water type, that makes a difference also with what you use. So, answer these and we can help you more.....don't worry, we will get you dreading...ALL HAIR WILL DREAD.....peace

I don't know where you live, but here is a map of the States to show the water type. If you live somewhere else, let me know and I will find a map for your country.... I have read so may posts about wax use and what the members have gone through. Even from using it once, five years later they still have in the wax and have grown mold. They ALL regret it.

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Lydia Wong
@lydia-wong
11 years ago
6 posts

Yes I'm Chinese, that explains why my hair is fine, straight and silky as you can see.

I use an organic herbs shampoo. And oh my goooodddd!!!!! I just saw this! >>>> "With wild cherry bark and rosemary for natural conditioning"

I tie my hair when needed to. I'm from Malaysia. ^-^

the Barrellady said:

We all start to get knots at different times. Check out a members page http://www.dreadlockssite.com/profile/Ixchel?xg_source=activity She took a long time to get knots, but she did, so have patience. Chris above suggested using wax to help you out.....WELL....there are so many problems to that which Chris will learn down the road and regret using it. It does not allow your hair to dread and knot, it glues the hair together. It holds in lint and smells and water pockets which will cause mold eventually. Patience is what you need.

Now, what are you washing with. If you are using a regular shampoo. many of those have a built in conditioner of some type to leave the hair silky. This will prevent knots from forming. The more you wash, the faster you dread. Knots like clean hair. That is why it is recommended to wash 2-3 days in the first few months. The scalp produces oil which causes any forming knots to slip out, so you want to keep it clean. Oh, did I say don't use wax???of course I did.

Dreading takes 1-2 years, and in two months it is nothing to worry about to have no knots. But yeah, let us know what you are using and list the ingredients, it could be as simple as your shampoo. Are you tying up your hair often, that will slow it down also. What is your water type, that makes a difference also with what you use. So, answer these and we can help you more.....don't worry, we will get you dreading...ALL HAIR WILL DREAD.....peace

I don't know where you live, but here is a map of the States to show the water type. If you live somewhere else, let me know and I will find a map for your country.... I have read so may posts about wax use and what the members have gone through. Even from using it once, five years later they still have in the wax and have grown mold. They ALL regret it.

updated by @lydia-wong: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

try changing shampoo

and how u wash matters too when u wash carefully scrub the scalp with fingertips while rt4rying to no0t disturb the hairr as much as u can

and air/drip dry dont towel dry

leave em hang loose as much as u can try not to tie em back unless u really have to

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

As you just found out, many shampoos, even organic, are not good for dreads. Yep, yours had a built in conditioner in it. Many of them do now a days. The best advice I have, if you can't buy the locking up shampoo from www.dreadlockshampoo.com is to find one you might want to use, write down the ingredients and then post them here. We will tell you if that is one to use or not. Save your money and find out first before purchasing.

So as Soaring Eagle said, just wash the scalp, when you rinse out the shampoos, it runs through the rest of your hair washing it as it goes. Yep, we can't use a towel the same way either. When I am done my washing, I let my hair drip for a few minutes in the tub and sway it back and forth to help the water come off. Then I use a micro fiber towel, like a shamwow and gently just pat the hair to suck excess water out of it. Then I put a towel on my shoulders to let the rest of the water drip off onto. Here is a good tip for you: dreads love towel lint, they suck it right into the hair, so purchase a good towel the same colour as your hair, that way you will never notice the lint. Expensive towels barely give off any.....peace

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

Try buying the Lockin' Up Liquid from dreadlocksshampoo.com, it will make your hair go crazy in all the best ways :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form