Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Separating a fat dread

Emily Storey
@emily-storey
11 years ago
12 posts

Most of my hair has been dreading for nearly three weeks now but I have 11 that are a little older. The particular dread in question is around a month and a half old and despite its usual silky straightness, my hair seems to be locking up pretty quickly. However my dilemma is that although having my friends help with my hair was lovely, one of my dreads wasn't sectioned particularly well and is a HUGE three inch rectangle across the back of my head. I was thinking of separating the top few inches where it's a bit looser by wrapping two sections and waiting for it to grow out to encourage the dread to eventually form into two. Is this a good idea or is there a better solution to my problem?

Thanks, peace x

updated by @emily-storey: 01/13/15 09:56:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

comb it out

let it section itself into a minumum of 3 or 4

or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10

or even up to 20 or 30 tho then they will be quit thun

you should not have had help or t least have used multiple mirrors to watch what they did

u would have been best off letting it section itself naturaly

or dread naturaly

but at a min section itself naturally

a 3 inch dread will be around as thick as your shoulder or calf if it congoed ever as thick as yoiur thich

it will be extremely unconfortable to sleep on

i dont olknow how u started but id concider starting over naturaly

or at least go through an d restart any that are over an inch

if 1 dreads 3 incheds i guarantee almost all would need restarting cause they are too big

how many dreads total? under 20?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hey there Emily. Here we recommend 1 inch or smaller dreads. Why,...once they are mature that size takes 24 hours to dry and must dry out in between washes or mold can set in. A fat one about 3 inches can take literally days to dry out in the inner core, and this is when mold sets in. Some people do grow fat congos, but they take the extra special care that is involved, which includes only getting them wet when washing them. That would include no daily swimming, staying out of the rain etc.. So if this is not for you, then do what Soaring Eagle suggested, take em out and start over...or at the least take out all of the fat ones.

How thin they look now is not what they will look like once mature. They will shrink and fatten up to that scalp size. So, being only a few weeks in bite the bullet and start over....Good luck...peace

Emily Storey
@emily-storey
11 years ago
12 posts

Thanks for the advice guys! I only have one that's far too big so maybe I will just have to go with it and restart that one.

I have around 37 dreads because most of them are a pretty reasonable size, varying from teeny tiny to around an inch.

I've used twist and rip because although my boss is accepting of my dreads, she's requested that I keep them as neat as possible whilst at work and I figured it would be much easier to style twist and rip dreads straight away.

Thanks again, fingers crossed I get a better result this time :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I too started by T&R. You will go through many changes over the next few months. They will not look as neat as they do now, the changes have to happen in order for them to dread. How are you styling them for work? Just make sure that you don't have them tight, that slows down the journey. Go to a thrift store and purchase some head scarves to use as wraps, in all different colours. Using a shoe string to ties around the sections loosely works great, the texture of the lace keeps it in place, then just use one of your scarves to match your clothing of the day and wrap it around the lace. Looks great and helps hide the mess....peace

Emily Storey
@emily-storey
11 years ago
12 posts
I've been tying them up quite tightly until now so thanks for the advice on the headscarves! I've just bought a big head band too which I love so I think I'll like scarves :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form