Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I would love to achieve this look! Helpies!

Felicia Julianna Mandarino
@felicia-julianna-mandarino
11 years ago
3 posts

Hi guys.

Never dreaded before. been doing SO much research.

id love a few different opinions on how to get this look.
ive included a picture. id like it to be as close as possible.

i have shoulder length brown hair, which im gonna need to extend of course.
what do you guys recommend?

i love the fact that the ends are curled..
it seems to me the top portions look crocheted??
and then it turns into a curl..
how on earth would i do that.
ive ordered some kanekalon already :)

updated by @felicia-julianna-mandarino: 01/13/15 09:56:13PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not extend them you will hate extentions so cancle the order!

they are natural not crochetted and u never want to crochet dreads! just let em dread and dont extend em or crochet em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

There is a product you can buy called Biotin which can be found in the vitamin section of drug stores, department stores etc. It is a supplement that encourages hair growth, results seen in 3 months. You just take 6000mcg daily. If you can't find that strength, just add up the tablets to equal it. As a bonus it strengthen finger nails. In the States & Canada it is sold for under $10.

Info to help your hair get a jump start...peace

11 years ago
3 posts
Thanks guys! Why would I hate extensions?? :(
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they feel fake disconnected alien dead weight you havent dreaded before but dreadlocks are spiritual they change you and have meanning they hold in energy extentions will just feel empty and weird

plus extentions really shouldnt be added till the dreads are esptablished..about 8 months in and by then the shrinkings over and growing about to begin

plus..although unrelted to making synthetic extentions but theres a whole evil industry forming around extending dreds in some countries its becomming common to be mugged, knocked out cold (with a concussion or fractured skull) and wake up bald your dreads shaved off to be sold as black market dread extentions

dreads are all about patience and waiting for results

they extend themselves over time..by growing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
11 years ago
3 posts
Hmm, that's very good to know. I definitely have a different view now. However I'd love them to be long right away. But I can wait :) thanks!
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I can't speak for how her dreads were 'made,' what method was used, etc., but I do know that some people have wispy ends, and sometimes the ends of the dreads that are undreaded will coil and curl a bit as they dread. I don't know if most people's stay like this, but I know mine don't. I have one right now that is dreaded and then turns into an undreaded section of hair that is curly/coiled. It's dreading up very very slowly, so I don't think you'd ever be able to keep that look, because it's a natural process that doesn't stay that way.

Anyway, crocheting is bad for dreads. No matter how careful you are, it breaks hairs, weakens dreads over time until they eventually can snap off with the minimal amount of force. If you want to attain a specific look, I'd say that real dreads aren't for you. I say that purely because to attain a specific look, you'll have to spend a lot of time, effort and money forcing your hair to look this way, which goes against how your hair may naturally want to dread. After all the time you'll spend trying to get your dreads to look this way, there'd probably be a lot of damage done to those dreads that they wouldn't last long. So if it's a purely cosmetic thing, I'd stay away from dreading your hair, because it'd be a waste for you. But if there's more to it than that, go for it :) just make sure you dread the right way by keeping your hair, and your dreads, healthy!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Felicia, as Soaring Eagle said, adding extensions onto your hair now will not allow the upper part of your hair to dread. The strands in each section need to move about and knot. With an extension on the end of them they would be unable to do this. So, your hair would have to dread first. By the time your hair is dreaded enough, you will have experienced what it is to grow dreads. It seems strange to write, but growing them does something to a person within their soul. By the time you put extensions on the ends, they will feel foreign to you due to what has grown within you. Sounds weird but it does happen (to most).

You could put your extensions in right now and see how you like them, but doing that won't let your hair dread, but you would have the length you want. I am not sure how long extensions last in the hair, but by the time they start to fall off, you may decide you love the look for you and can then start to grow your own. Take the Biotin in the meantime so you can get more hair growth if you go this route.

I am not sure how the Kanekalon attaches, but some types need to be crocheted in, and that is the worst thing to do for your hair as it breaks it into many pieces, so hopefully with your type you don't need to do that.

There is a small percentage of people on here who do have extensions, so if you need any tips to do it, let me know & I will find out who can help you or answer any questions about them.....remember, it's your hair and your decision....Just click on my photo in the Dreads Online box when you see I am on and a box will open so we can message live.......peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form