Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

When did Locticians first come into existence??

Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

Honestly I am tired of the mainstream view of dreads that occured because of locticians its very annoying. Im tired of people telling me that I should twist my hair, or comb it out or w/e w/e once I tell people that they are fools and I know more about my hair then they do and dreads period they usually shut up. The one thing that annoys me the most is that people refer to loctician locks as "Traditional" its funny how humans take certain things that once stood for something strong and meaningful and completely pervert it into a crock of bullshit. Kind of like religion or gangs, both when started where intended for a very different purpose then they have today.

Anyways when exactly did locticians come about I want to know the history behind this, I want to know whos responsible for all this

updated by @bountdoom: 01/13/15 09:56:06PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I have no idea, but I agree with you. It's so mainstream that it's regarded as the only way to grow dreads (or at least, for non-black people to have dreads). I was fooled by it myself, because these salon-made dreads are so popular that the misinformation is all over the Internet. Thank god for sites like these, and for people like Soaring Eagle and the helpful members here. My parents, though supportive of my having dreads, have spent the last two years telling me to "Go to that African salon and get them done properly," despite me telling them the truth about dreads repeatedly. All you can do is educate those that are simply misguided and/or ignorant, and ignore the ones that are so narrow-minded that they refuse to consider that their information might be wrong.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

There are tribes in Africa that actually use a type of mud to get the dreads to stick. I don't know how long they have been doing it, but I would assume it's been passed down over many many generations. So, they will likely have been around for a long, long time.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Ha Ha, who is responsible? Good question, curious now to find out....I have a friend from St. Vincent who also has dreads, done by a loctician to look neat. Everytime he sees me, he wants to add his gel into my hair, his hair gel silly.......seems to me that it is more of a majority of people with African hair texture who want their dreads made, maybe that is just over here though.....

Salem Haley
@salem-haley
11 years ago
4 posts

totalllllly agree. I was fooled of course. I had started my dreading with full on neglect and just naturally. But everyone just in my ear telling me "its the wrong way" "you're not doing it right" "go get them neater" and me actually falling for it which was the dumbest move i could have ever made. The woman just messed up my hair even more. So i combed em out & once again I'm starting newly like I was in the beginning. HUGE regret. glad i came across this website as well just wish it was sooner otherwise i would've been able to stop myself before the problem was made.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

hey Salem, we are glad you found this site too, just like so many of us. But you know what, it is certainly better late than never, better so soon into your journey than a year or two later! To me, my dreads are spiritual, grown with love and a part of who I am. For others this is not the case at all, theirs is only a hairstyle for the moment, for a couple of years maybe. I understand why they would go to a loctician to get them created instantly. But what irks me is that the person making their dreads is not educating them on what is being done and the damage it creates. Customer wants dreads...they want money...simple as that. If they tell a person, then they may change their mind, put their money back into their pocket and walk out. The initial fee is gone and regular maintenance cost gone, just walked out the door, so they shut their mouth and don't say a thing. I do feel for the customer when they finally undo or remove the dreads only to unsuspectingly find damaged thin hair...and for that I say shame to most locticians. They would not be so bad in my books if they warned, educated each and every person so that they are able to make the best decision for them.

So I am kinda weird here, I am con to locticians.....but..... pro to them if they first educate their client and the client still wants them done. Their head...their choice after knowledge....If they don't want to experience the inner growth like we go through, so be it, their true loss.

So back to the original post, ha ha, forgot about that...Dreads have been formed for years and years, but when was the WORD Loctician first used?????

Salem Haley
@salem-haley
11 years ago
4 posts

Exactly! The woman i went to used a crochet hook. I had one beautiful congo piece that I did not want to get rid of but she insisted .. she explained how she had a lot of knowledge on dreads which was not the case at all because even after she was done I knew she had done something wrong with my hair. Thats when i researched and found this website so I took them out immediately. She never explained that the crochet hook would be damaging my hair & I felt that of course she wouldn't because she would've lost a customer and her money. Very greedy of them .. but hey lesson learned

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form