Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Gunky Scalp?

emily stuart
@emily-stuart
11 years ago
1 posts

Ive had my babies for a few weeks, me hair is just above shoulders. I have been using bi carb and vinegar for a few years already. But the problem is when i had my old hair id use a very fine bristle comb and litrelly comb the funk out of my scalp, but i cant now and bi carb dont wash it out, i have to get my nails in before i have my shower and i find its not working. I mean i have to wash my hair with bi carb every day or at less second day to have my hair and scalp feeling healthy. But with new dreads is this too much washing?

updated by @emily-stuart: 01/13/15 09:55:59PM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Invest in some good EO's(essential oils) that'll help. Lavender, basil, lemon, orange, etc. Once every other day is a little extreme. The problem is that baking soda really dries the hair out so you have to watch how much damage you're doing. Once every two or three days is the average.

Once your locks are further along and seem to have some stable, steady progress then you can move onto using dreadlock shampoo bars with EO's in them. That will definitely help with the gunk.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Emily, using the bicarb and acv is different when you have dreads. Are your ratios this: 1/2 cup (.24 liters) to 5 cups (1.18 liter) water. Mix well and pour over wet head. Leave this on for 10-20 minutes without scrubbing the scalp at all, It will exfoliate the dead skin all on its own....now rinse out well.....next....1-2 capfuls of ACV to 5 cups (1.18 liter) of water. Pour over head and rinse out right away.

So yes, the BS will work if left on long enough to do the job. Before, as you said, you were able to comb it out etc, but leaving it on for the 10 minutes minimum will do the same thing. Try this way and let me know how it works.....peace

I used this for my entire first year....

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Barrellady, some people NEED to rub the scalp. She's coming here complaining about gunky scalp and yes, she may be using the wrong ratio for baking soda, however, I used the correct ratios for it and still had a major issue until my scalp adjusted to it.

Emily, if you use the correct ratio of ingredients, leave it on for a while and then find that just rinsing it out isn't helping, then you do have other options. You don't have to be miserable. Rub the scalp as you rinse out. It'll clean more thoroughly and help you take care of some itchies, too. It'll also help you lock up faster.

I don't know why the 'no rub' method seems to be the only thing you suggest to people, Barrellady.

Get your fingers in there, Emily! See if it works for ya.

Also, you don't have to use five cups of water to 1/2 cup of baking soda. Unless you have hair down to your ass then that's not necessary. You can get a simple hair dye squeezie bottle that holds one cup of liquid(your standard small squeezie that comes in a box of dye) put two tablespoons of baking soda in it and then one cup of warm water. Shake it(let some of the fizz out) and then squirt it all over your wet scalp. Let it set for 5-10 minutes. Scrub all around in your scalp and then rinse thoroughly.

If you wanna add some EO's to the routine then add them to your baking soda. Certain ones can assist the cleaning process.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

It's just that the BS methodisa "no touch" method. There's no reason that you "have" to not scrub. It won't hurt at all if you do. But it's the only method where you don't physically have to. With bars and liquid soaps, you need to scrub in order to spread around the soap, and get it more sudsy. But with the BS wash, it spreads out evenly all by itself.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Thank you Baba Fats, that is exactly it. If you don't want to scrub and disturb the sections, then you can use it as a " A No Touch Method" if left in for the minimum 10 minutes. Five minutes does not exfoliate the scalp.

Glad to see you helping out members too Angle Frye. I find the easiest way to help someone is to start at the easiest way and find out if the ratios and time left in are correct. This might be the only reason it is not working right for her. Sure, she used it pre dreads, but had to comb out the gunk, so maybe the ratios were off! I used the proper ratios for 1 year and it worked for me, so that is where I start.

I also recommend the Dreadlock Shampoo, which works great with hard water. Emily is from Australia and the cost of shipping to there is pricey. Emily, Tim is trying out a dread shampoo from Australia and will let us know how it works. If it is good and healthy, he will pass on the info of where to purchase it in your area.

Also, sure, people can do the math and prepare smaller version of the BS mix, if they don't have as much hair...why not and save money......1 1/2 tablespoons of BS to 1 cups water.....

Peace

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

My point is that the 'no touch' method seems to be giving an awful lot of people the impression that disturbing their hair is a no-no when in fact the direct opposite is true. And then when people are given this impression they are miserable with gunk buildup in their hair and think that is their lot in life for as long as they want locks.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

When people come to us with problems with gunk, and say they've been doing the BS method, our first response, usually, is to use a soap. Which is totally a scrubbing method. Both the soaps we recommend, and the act of scrubbing help tremendously. If you want to do the BS method, and scrub, go for it.

Sorry that this can be confusing. I, and I'm sure others will be more clear next time we talk about it

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form