Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My head is a mess

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

I'm having some freak out time since the past few weeks. I'm now between 8 and 9 weeks into my natural dreadlocks journey. Everything seemed to go fine for the first month, with nice sectioning and all. Then at about 5 weeks, my hair began to knot. And then the fun began too. My hair is super super fine and knots really well. Like too well. Plus it's knoting near the base and I'm really having a hard time separating all my dreads correctly. Sometimes I can't even figure where one begins and one ends. Plus my hair is knoting so fast, I need to separate like 4 times a day. But it's knoting only at the base, so all the tips tend to tangle with the others and I'm kind of freaking out sometimes. I'm a really anxious person, so I'm worrying alot about all this. I try to follow an advice I saw alot on this site and "forget I have hair", but my messy head is so messy... I know I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I'm still worrying anyway. And now all my dreads seem to be falling apart, sectioning again or congo and the mess is becoming alot messier... Oh well...

updated by @la-renarde: 02/14/15 07:57:47AM
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Im just a bit behind you Im at like 7 weeks and like you I have super fine hair and its very straight as well but mine doesn't knot very easily. I started with short hair like 4 inches and same thing happened with me, first month stayed in sections, had a few dreads starting then at around 6 weeksI started getting more formingand also a bunch of 3 that keep joining at the roots its hard to separate them sometimes but not as much trouble as it sounds like you're having. My hair isn't looking too messy yet either apart from the oldest dreads that are sticking out and stuff.

Anyway Id just suggest to just continue separating as you are and relax a bit about the sections coming out and redoing themselves and stuff I have that a lot but in the end it'll all dread up and look awesome =]

God luck on your journey =]

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
The best thing u can do is wait and see where it goes :)
la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Thank you guys. I'm a bit desperate about my hair today and since waiting is not something I'm good at, it's really hard on me haha But I'll have to learn to be patient, that's one of the reasons I'm growing dreadlocks...

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Could you post some pics, it will be easier to help with your pacific problem, i'm the same with this super fine easily matting hair, if i left mine it would be 1 massive congo. Really don't worry about the sectioning dissapearing, it will give a more natural look and the dreads will hang how they are supposed to. If this is really bad on the ends of the dreads just add abit of conditioner on the mid lengths and ends when you wash your dreads. How often r you shampooing - try not to shampoo too often, i find matting happens more after washing my dreads and then it settles, this is why i shampoo once a week.

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

I posted some pictures on my profile, but I don't have some where we can really see what's going on there. I wash my hair about twice a week. My hair is matting alot more after washing too. Maybe I'll try keeping it at only once a week to see if this helps. Thanks for your reply all, this gives me courage and certainly sooths my anxiety. I think I'll try not to look in the mirror to often too, this might help alot haha Love.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Yeah, it gets ridiculously messy sometimes. I still have so much loose hair that sometimes it probably looks like I don't have dreads lol. But the mess you've described is part of it. Keep on top of the separating and you'll be fine. The mess will go away (mostly) as your hair dreads more. Maybe on the ones where you don't know where one dread is and another dread is, you can put a bead on one, so you know that bead is one dread, and anything around it isn't.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

In time, you'll grow to be OK with, or even enjoy, the messiness. As your hair dreads, you develop an amount of patience and understanding or self-confidence with the aspects you might not previously have been happy with. I used to spray my hair with water everyday when I went to school to make sure not a single strand of hair was sticking out. Now I walk around outside or around shops with what looks like a frizzy-hair get-together on my head and I enjoy it lol.

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Thanks for your kind words Tara, I'll try the bead idea for sure. I'm glad to know all this is just normal stuff and happens to mostly everyone with dreadlocks :) You sound really at peace with your dreads. This is beautiful to read. <3

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Thanks Robyn, I think I'll go read this blog of yours haha. I had a bad dream about separating last night. People were saying I had to comb all my dreads out and begin anew. I was feeling so shitty haha But well, that was only a dream :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form