Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New need help going natural

Mr. Top Hat
@mr-top-hat
11 years ago
2 posts

Sorry if it looks as if I didn't try to find the answers on the forum, I just wasn't sure what tips would work for me. Also not trying to double post just thought it would work better over in maintenance than in introduction.

Hello everyone, I'm new and looking for help. First off let me start off by saying that I have always wanted dreads, but for most of my life I was told that I didn't have the right hair ( my hair is VERY soft, fine, and curly), but I did end up trying when I was around 17-18 (2010ish) and at that time I would get my hair re-twisted ever 3-4 weeks using the coil method, but I was impatient, didn't like the results, and wanted a mow-hawk, so I cut them off.

Fast forward to April, 2012, and I had full blown loc envy, so I decided to give it another go. As mentioned early my hair has been a huge hurdle in regards to me achieving my dream head of locs, mainly because whenever you try to do anything with it without some kind of product it just puffs up. So while getting my hair done today for the first time in my dreadlock journey I allowed products to be put in my hair to start the process. However, from here on out I would like to go the nature/neglect method. So I was looking for everyone's advice on how I should proceed ( First time to wash, what to wash with etc..) taking my hair into consideration.

-list of the products used below and I believe pics of my hair but not sure because it doesn't show in the preview-

Products:jamaican mango and lime:Shea Butter Conditioning Shine, and jamaican mango and lime: I believe "Lock & Set Styling Lotion" I'll update when I find out for sure.

Thanks in advice for all the helpful tips everyone :)

updated by @mr-top-hat: 01/13/15 09:55:52PM
Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

I must say I'm a little sad to hear you used chemicals cause I do believe (despite what others might have told you) your hair would have loved to naturally dread, but what's done is done. And not to sound rude, but when you refer to neglect I believe people on this website consider it going from straight/unknotted hair to full blown dreadlocks without any matainence (other than seperating) and without being started with any other method aside from simply throwing the comb away.. But I'm definitely not speaking for everyone :P

In regards to your questions for further care on your hair, wash with a mixture of baking soda diluted with water (not sure the exact ratios) and afterwards for conditioner use apple cider vinegar (also diluted.) I'm sure you could find the exact ratios using the search bar on the top left of the website. Also, you might have to consider hard water. If you don't have hard water where you live then you don't have to worry much about residue using this wash. But if you do there are ways to still wash with the bs/acv rinse, however the easiest way to wash with hard water is to buy the dreadlocks bar from this website, a member makes it all out of natural ingredients. It's only 10 bucks and comes in many scents.

Hope I helped :)

Welcome to the site and to a wonderful journey Mr. Top Hat

Love & light...

Chris C.2
@chris-c2
11 years ago
12 posts

Exactly what Nicole said. For the bs + acv wash instructions:
First you gotta make sure whether or not you have hard water, if you have soft water then its as simple as:

Mix the bs and water together. The ratio is 1 cup of baking soda to 10 cups of water.
Next you gotta rinse your hair with normal water
After that, you pour the bs and water solution on your head and hair. You let it soak from 10-30min depending on how dirty your scalp is. but dont go over 30 min.
Rinse off and make sure to get all the baking soda off.
Next you pour apple cider vinager mixed with water ( its a cap or two of vinegar in 5 cups of water ) over your head. Most people can rinse off right away, especially if your scalp is naturally oily. But people with dryer hair need to let it soak longer, but never go over 1min.
Finally, you finish off with a cold water rinse, the coldest you can handle.
Good luck with your dreads and hope it all goes well :)

Chris C.2
@chris-c2
11 years ago
12 posts

Oh and if you have hard water, you can either use bottled water to mix with the baking soda, or you can boil the amount of water you need, then let it sit for an hour or two. if you have really hard water like i do, you can see all the minerals on the bottom of the water. next you just pour the water into another container really slowly and steadily and make sure to leave the last 10% or so of water because thats where all the minerals causing the water to be hard is.
If your not sure, just google hard water map for your area

Mr. Top Hat
@mr-top-hat
11 years ago
2 posts
Not really sure if I'm replaying correctly lol, but Thanks SO Much Nicole and Chris for the tips.Lucky I don't have hard water so I don't have to worry about that. I'm currently letting sea salt mix set in my hair for an hour and a half, and then I'm going to rinse it out, and put BS on and rinse that out. I will be skipping the ACV at first since my hair is so soft, but add it later on when my hair texture changes or my hair starts to mature.Oh and thanks Nicole about telling me the right terminology, and I don't think it's rude at all to tell a newbie the correct terms.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form