Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any advice is appreciated :)

Tanky T..
@tanky-t
11 years ago
17 posts
So my 56 dreads turned 4weeks old yesterday :) but I'm a little concerned with the progress. I used the tnr method but realized a little too late that I did them all a bit tight and they had a braided look. I know their still super young but I'm not seeing anything along the lines of little loops as such. I have one that I left natural that's looking awesome! And it's sort of making me doubt the rest. WhAt are your thoughts on how they should be coming along and what am i to expect? I'm tempted to take them out and go natural but only if you guys think that that would be best. Just a little concerned with the tightness of some of my tnr dreads and if they are looking how they should or not. Most people usually get concerned about theirs falling out(which is good) but I'm the opposite!! Arghh, driving myself mad everyday, lol
updated by @tanky-t: 02/14/15 08:33:34AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

I did tnr after 5 weeks of going natural. I immediately took them out, brushed my hair and went natural again. You won't miss those 4 weeks if you do start again. I'm fast approaching my year since that brushing and I'm very glad that I did it. Just my experience.

Tanky T..
@tanky-t
11 years ago
17 posts
Hey Kelly, thanks for the advice. I think I have some serious brushing to do then, lol. Is it possible to keep my sections that I've created and still go natural? Also I'm studying to be a primary school teacher so the tnr appealed to me because they tend to look a little neater. Does going natural look really out of control at some stages? I have to also think about my appearance at work. Thanks
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

It wouldn't be 'best' to take them out and start over natural unless you want to. They'll loosen up on their own. Crochet is a much more harmful method, some people crochet their dreads to be SUPER tight (and I'm talking, they look like they're defying gravity because they're so tight), and even they will loosen up. So yours? Yes, they will most definitely loosen up without a doubt :) just means progress will be delayed compared to the natural one. By all means comb them out and start again if you'd prefer, but you don't have to.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

To your latest reply...yeah, dreading looks very wild at times, but you know what? They would look just as wild with twist and rip. It's just that they're sectioned already, but as twist and rip dreads start to dread, they'll get loops and bumps just like natural dreads do. I backcombed mine (combed quite a few out since then, but still) and I had loops, bumps, etc. too. There's no way to get rid of the mess if you want your hair to truly dread. But you can tie them back (loosely) while you're working if you want them to be neater :)

Kym2
@kym2
11 years ago
11 posts

I can't imagine taking my dreads out and starting over. I'm a big baby and tender headed and prefer to leave them messy. Your hair looking wild and crazy is part of the process, enjoy!!

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Just leave them be, keep em clean, and seperate.

Follow those three things and youll be fine. Dont worry so much about how they are "supposed" to look, rather be stoked on how they decide to take form on their own and develop their own personality. <3

Tanky T..
@tanky-t
11 years ago
17 posts
I'd love to post some pics. I actually took some new ones and realized I can't do it from a phone, anywho ill try get around to it tonight. I do love my tnr dreads but my one natural one is killing me with all of its craziness that's happening, I want it on them all!! :) thanks guys, would love to hear what you have to say when I get some pics up
Tanky T..
@tanky-t
11 years ago
17 posts
Yep I'm decided I need to calm down and enjoy the ride. They will do there thing :) thanks
Kym2
@kym2
11 years ago
11 posts

I get slightly spazzy sometimes. I think as women, we are so used to maintaining our hair a 'certain' way all our lives and when it changes so drastically it does take time to get used to it. I started my dreads late in life (45) and I've always had my hair cut, colored and always styled to society standards.

I cannot tell you how freeing it has been to let all that shit go! I still have moments and I probably always will, but I love my messy, free hair. I love me.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form