Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mad Professor

Glyn Kemp
@glyn-kemp
11 years ago
2 posts

Hi all, I know this has been covered a billion times but i'm losing the will. Basically i've had my dreads for 2 years now and they're cooking along nicely but i have got soooooooo much loose hair on the top of me bonce. I don't use wax, wash them with baking soda, lemon juice and sea salt(superb suggestion from this site and gets them a hell of a lot cleaner than the shampoo shite i was buying from some grotty knotty company) I don't like the idea of ramming a crochet needle through my dreads so, what i'm after is any sublime suggestions to make these irritating stragglers do as there told without waxing, cutting them off or 'just leave it for 20 years and it will be fine'. I know that is the best solution but i have to wear a wrap all the time because it's so mental it makes me look like some mad professor. I do have lots of other loose hair but i'm not fussed about that i know that will eventually sort it's self out.

Cheers for any suggestions.

G.

updated by @glyn-kemp: 01/13/15 09:55:47PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Firstly, you shouldn't be using lemon juice. It makes hair brittle.

There should always be some loose hair on top of your scalp. This is how the roots keep locked. If there is a lot of loose hair then maybe the pressure of your shower is keeping it from wrapping up in the dreads before a certain length (just a suggestion).

Wish I could of been more help. You could post some pictures so we have a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Like kelly said, there needs to be some loose hair around your scalp. The only time you should worry about it is if your locks start getting thin at the roots. If the section by your scalp is about as thick as the lock is, itself, don't give it another thought. We've all got that going. You tend to see it more because you look at your locks from much closer than anyone else will.

And to expand on why you shouldn't use lemon juice: Lemon and lime juice is citric acid. While it's not a strong acid on the list of top 6 strong acids, it's more than strong enough to seep into your hair shaft and break it down from the inside out. This is what makes your hair overly dry and brittle. People use lemon juice to lighten their hair. The lightening is how the damage shows up first.

Glyn Kemp
@glyn-kemp
11 years ago
2 posts
Cheers for that, I'll stop using the lemon juice.It's not just loose hair at the root and I'm certainly not after perfect shop bought dreads but It's lots of full lengths of hair that just won't dread up. I'll try and get some pics on later.Cheers, G.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form