Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I think I might have mold in my dreads. I've never slept with them wet, but I don't know, I suppose these things can still happen. Anyway, whenever I wash them, there's a smell on them. I'm pretty sure it's only the thickest ones, but can't be certain. I'm combing out my two thickest ones anyway, because they have lots of flakes in them that I can't get out, so am going to let them dread naturally. But even so, I'd like to know how to get rid of mold, if it is mold. The smell is only when they're wet, as soon as they're dry or close to dry, it's completely gone. I don't know if it's mold or not, but better to be safe than sorry.

updated by @tara-c: 02/14/15 08:45:32AM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I don't have much money at the moment anyway, but have a lot of essential oils, so would prefer to do one of those rinses, just don't know the specific things needed and etc.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
I think she's still working on it. But just message soaring eagle if you're looking to do it with essential oils :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the mold killer will be ion the site this week use the contact us to message her that u need it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok if u dont want the rot knot (wich is all esential oils and amazing) then

3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 cup water

50 drops lavender

soak it leave it soakes d a long time like i left it on 24 hours

if thety arent super mature then probly try less

sun dry

try a min of 30 min

the rot knots got lotsa goodies smells most like cloves

10 min and done

i tested the hell outta it

using a full bottle at 1 use

(same size bottle as the liquid shampoo)

whole bottle rinsed out easily

was surprised

Tara C said:

I don't have much money at the moment anyway, but have a lot of essential oils, so would prefer to do one of those rinses, just don't know the specific things needed and etc.

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Tara, sorry to hear about the smell, that really sucks. Out of curiosity, how fat are the thickest ones?

You will be able to afford this:

Mix 3/4 cups of white vinegar with 1/4 cup of water & 30 drops of lavender oil. Pour this entire mixture onto your head and let it soak for a good long time. Go watch the telly or do something and just let it sit. Rinse out after about 20 hours.

You should also do this as a spray for awhile after you the the above treatment. Mix the same ratios, then spray it onto your dreads. After you spray it on, squeeze it into the dreads so it penetrates the inside. Leave this in without rinsing it. The smell will go away fast.

Just remember Tara, fat dreads take more than 24 hours to fully dry, tying up wet dreads causes the smell, and going to bed with wet dreads will do it also. So, best to wash them first thing in the morining & let the fresh air help dry them throughout the day, as the inside of them can still be damp in the eve.

This will work for you, hope you can afford the lavender. If you really really can't, try it without the lavender, Do the soak. When you do the spray part, if there if no lavender oil in it, still squeeze it into the dreads, but rinse this out by about 10 hours since there is no oil to soften the hair.

It may take a few soaks for it to completely go away, so try the soak a few times just to make sure.

When you can afford more essential oils, here is a link to let you know what they are good for: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/essential-oils-for-dread...

Good luck Tara, let me know how it goes.......peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Ha, Soaring Eagle posted, sorry for the same info, he's fast, posted while I was typing....peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hey again Tara, just in case you do not know, you can use the navigation bar near the top left to type in any key words, you will get tons of postings on the subject you desire. Read read read, so many tips to be found that way. That's how I taught myself so much about dreading, I read all the time.......peace

but of course, still post your questions, that is how others learn too!

Glad to hear you have plenty of essential oils, check out the post I gave you earlier to learn what you can use the ones you have for.....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

also extra long beads (i stear clear of over 1/2 inch after having issues with over 1 inch long beads causing funk inside em

--
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Thanks all of you :) yeah, can't afford to buy anything right now lol I already have lavender, so I'd just need to get the white vinegar.

So, if I leave it on all day (and night), wouldn't that mean I'd be sleeping with wet dreads, or would it not matter in this instance because it's something that gets rid of mold?

The two thickest ones are...I'm not entirely sure, but definitely less than two inches wide, if not by that much. I've combed one of them out and am going to comb out the other too though. Not necessarily because of the mold, but I think it's better to get them a bit thinner and let them do their thing naturally.

Oh yeah, and I only have two beads, both small, so no worries there :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form