Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

redo or leave them alone?

Daisy3
@daisy3
11 years ago
4 posts

So, I gave myself a head full of dreads on Saturday. While I was doing them, the ones that felt tight began to feel loose. I thought it was maybe normal so I didn't really pay much attention to them. I applied some aloe vera to them on Sunday, I heard it helps it lock? Then today I washed them with ACV, baking soda, tea tree oil, and really cold water. I let my hair air dry, then I noticed they were really loose. They are not even knotted it's just hair and the tips are nice and tight others are just like whatever. I'm considering taking the loose ones out and redoing them. I also have dandruff, I made a rosemary and spearmint tonic. Hoping that gets sorted. Anyways, what should I do?

updated by @daisy3: 01/13/15 09:55:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome b

aloe conditions

its the oposite of what u want

did u mix baking soda and acv or use em seperate;y

no need to start ovcer

u never had to backcomb to begin with

and if on ly 1` knot remains on your head

then you got a jump start on going natural

so continue on

but stop using aloe

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Rosemary and tea tree oil sure helps with dandruff, especially with all the itching. But if it doesn't work enough for you, try using sage essential oil instead. If you suffer from epilepsia, are sensitive to convulsions or are not sure about it, try salvia sclarea. But normally, salvia officinalisshould be okay. Sage is one of the most powerful essential oil for drandruff issues. Plus its known for its purification, soothing, antibacterial, antifongic and aphrodisiac properties. It helps control natural body oil production, is a scalp tonic and improve blood flow. That's what I've been using since I began growing dreadlocks and I practically have had no itching or dandruff problems since. Wish I would have tried it sooner. Facepalm.

Good luck with your journey. Love.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

They do help with dandruff, and so does the cold water, but you don't want to mix the baking soda and apple cider vinegar together. Baking soda first, apple cider vinegar after it. No need to redo them though, they often come loose, it's normal and they'll dread up anyway. If you redo them every time they fall apart, they'll never dread. Stop messing with them or touching them, and they'll dread up fine :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there Daisy. When you started your dreads, it was only a blueprint to where you wanted them to be. They WILL loosen, some WILL fall out, they are not the actual dreads at all, this has to happen so they can go on their journey. That is why it is said that when doing a starter method as opposed to neglect, it is one step forward and two steps back. You made your sections, gave them the dread look, and then that goes away. If you re do anything, you will only be causing damage and cracks and breakage to the hairs, so let them be. They now want to go on the journey and are doing so. Please read my post to help you understand what will be happening in the next while to put your mind at ease:
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/just-starting-out-what-to-expect
Have fun with the journey...if you wash 2-3 times a week and separate any sections trying to join together...then everything is honeky dorrie...nothing else to do but enjoy that wild ride. Depending on your original hair length, they can take 1-2 years to mature, and during this time you will see many many changes happen. Crazy at times...this is where the patience comes in.....and real funky at times....all the crazy shapes that will happen. Just for fun, check out this post of crazy shapes members dreads had done during their journey: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/weirdest-shaped-dread-competition?page=6&commentId=3754945%3AComment%3A1684846&x=1#3754945Comment1684846 .....peace

Daisy3
@daisy3
11 years ago
4 posts

Yeah, I did the baking soda first and the vinegar followed. I also noticed that the dandruff has decreased but I will continue to apply it. I had the locks in with rubber bands and I took them off last night cause the hair was like wrapping onto it. My hair looks a bit normal now (:Anyways, thank you all for this information. This was extremely helpful! I think I will just let it go all natural, you know? :D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

good call

ust to clarify you rinsed the baking soda out b4 u put on the acv?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Daisy3
@daisy3
11 years ago
4 posts

Yes I did {:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form