Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural persecution

Lauren Cronister
@lauren-cronister
11 years ago
10 posts
I had a girl say my dreads are not real, and that they are "a bed for rodents" because I do not maintain them. I just find it sad how hateful people can be against natural dreads. She herself has some dreads, which she puts wax in, and maintains all the time. Little does she know she's destroying her locks, and that my "bed for rodents" are going to be beautiful mature dreadlocks someday. Has anyone else gotten such rude comments?
updated by @lauren-cronister: 02/14/15 02:26:16AM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Fortunately I haven't, but I don't go out much. The rude comments are probably worse and more insulting coming from people with dreads themselves. I feel like there's a lot of hate and division within dreadheads depending on what method they started with or maintenance they use, if any. Which is stupid, we should all be educating people, but at the end of the day, lots of people want neat dreads, and they're willing to damage their hair for it (which makes sense, because to most people it's no big deal, just hair). It's a shame, but as you said, your dreads will be beautiful, unique mature dreads :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I have not had the same experience, but that would have a lot to do with my age. People are ignorant towards so many things in life. It is like a bully, they put down others to try and raise their own self esteem in their eyes. Don't ever bow down to those remarks, hold your head high. We here have good vibes, people like that have bad vibes they carry around deep inside, a deep pitted shit hole they live in. I hope that you never let any comment like that get to you, you know better than what they are saying. Stay true to yourself and be happy!.....peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

salons tend to say that alot also ppl brainwashed by dreadheadhq with dreads under a year old

but ive had alot of locticians say nasty stuff like that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yup and all those bad vibes are stuck with em in a gooey waxy core

real dreads are much more pure and so are the vibes you keep with you

the Barrellady said:

I have not had the same experience, but that would have a lot to do with my age. People are ignorant towards so many things in life. It is like a bully, they put down others to try and raise their own self esteem in their eyes. Don't ever bow down to those remarks, hold your head high. We here have good vibes, people like that have bad vibes they carry around deep inside, a deep pitted shit hole they live in. I hope that you never let any comment like that get to you, you know better than what they are saying. Stay true to yourself and be happy!.....peace

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lauren Cronister
@lauren-cronister
11 years ago
10 posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! I was as kind as I could be to her. Fight the bad with good. I'm very proud of my natural locks, I'll never let anyone's comments make me love my hair any less.
Mama Corn
@mama-corn
11 years ago
4 posts

I'm only 2 1/2 weeks into my dreading journey, so I haven't gotten a lot of feedback either way. However, when I posted a picture on facebook of the back of my hair, after my husband affectionately referred to it as a "dingleberry", I was surprised at some of my friends' responses (do you need shampoo, why do you want your hair to look like a dingleberry, etc.). I politely explained that the picture was taken right after I'd washed my hair, and that natural dreadlocks look a little wild and crazy for a while (which is part of the fun). I haven't gotten anything but positive remarks otherwise.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I haven't gotten anything quite that bad, But both Eagle and I have gotten some pretty nasty comments from members we've been forced to suspend or ban from the forums.

It's a shame that people find it necessary to resort to name calling. But it sounds like you're handling it well. Just smile and nod. Say "ok" and walk away. I knwo it can hurt more coming from someone with locks.

But the important thing to know is not to confront those people. When people feel threatened, or fell like their ideals are threatened, they get defensive, and scared. The more scared they get, the more capable they are to take it one step further

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I get ignorant comments all the time. Oddly enough, most of them are from people I consider(ed) friends. Most of the nicer comments I get are from complete strangers.

I'm glad you know that your dreads are beautiful. :)

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
I haven't gotten many negative comments on my hair, but once in a while I do on my tattoos. I just smile and say politely, "you don't have to like it". In the end it's our choice to allow those words to bother us or not.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form