Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

HashFlare
Dreadlocks Forums

New dreads, need advice

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
4 years ago
1,302 posts

As mentioned earlier, dreads love water, they mature faster the more they get wet. Right now your sections are not locked up dreads. They will loosen, They will change. Then they will tighten and become mature dreads. Let them do what they want, that is their journey....stop worrying...if you are washing them 2-3 times a week, and separating any sections trying to join together, then you are fine...leave the rest to fate.

Backcombing method already causes damage to the hair, like scaling a fish, it is un natural in the opposite direction of the scales, so doing this over and over to your strands of hairs is causing cracks and breaks in them. These will cause weak points in your dreads.....so let them be.....okie dokie.......just enjoy them....Hey, if you are so worried about them coming undone, put beads on the ends for awhile...peace

updated by @the-barrellady: 07/23/15 03:00:39AM
Brennon Miller
@brennon-miller
4 years ago
5 posts

I think you missunderstood, when I got back in the house I could run my fingers through my dreads without issue there were no knots left in them at all.. they had completely come undone.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
4 years ago
1,302 posts

No misunderstanding, that happens to twist & rip dreads also. Some come loose, some fall out. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/backcombing-dreads-dont-waste?xg_browser=iphone

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
4 years ago
1,302 posts

Out of curiosity, what did you previously use to wash & conditon with and what are you using now?

Brennon Miller
@brennon-miller
4 years ago
5 posts

Before I was using herbal essences, now until i can find a shampoo for dreads Im using the baking soda thing. But Im really irritated right now, Everyone here was telling me they loveee water and that I should wash them often right out of the gate. Well I washed them last night, made sure they were dry before I went to bed, and today I wake up and my curls are outrageous and you cant even tell my hair is locking. See the attached file.. What the hell..

Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
4 years ago
46 posts

I'm a newbie too. Here's what I've learned from this forum and experience so far:

1. Clean hair dreads better than dirty hair, mainly because dirty hair is oily and oily hair doesn't tangle/knot as easy. You don't want any conditioners in your shampoo because of that, so that is why people recommend the baking soda/ac vinegar combo or a special dread shampoo.
  2. Don't comb, even with your fingers. Shake out and gently pull part if clumping together in big masses.
  3. Patience, patience, patience. More patience. A lot more patience. That is why people call this a journey. Kinda like being pregnant, it doesn't happen all at once, it takes a lot of time and patience and just a wee bit of maintenance.
Tara C
@tara-c
4 years ago
645 posts

You might not be able to tell, but we can. That's what hair does as it dreads. Backcombed hair might look a bit like dreads, but that doesn't mean they're dreading. The more you keep re-doing them, the longer it'll take for them to dread. They do come loose or come undone, but that's normal. They have to loosen, because loose hair tangles around each other and etc. and that's how it then forms knots. They can't form knots when they're backcombed every time they come loose, because then they'll never get to a point where they can tangle. It seems counter-productive, but yes, they need to come loose before they can dread. You won't see any knots yet, because you've been starting over before you've gotten to that point. You have to be patient to get to that stage. Stop looking at them so much, forget you have mirrors for a while, look at them once a week or even less often, and then you'll notice the progress you're making. At the moment you're getting annoyed over progress because you can't see the progress because it's too small to notice yet. And if you keep backcombing them thinking they're too loose to dread, they never will.

Also, in the last picture you posted, anyone with natural-growing dreads will tell you that's what they start to look like when they dread anyway. They section, then start coiling. A lot of the ends of my hair are looking like that right now as they're dreading :)

Mons
@mons
4 years ago
523 posts

That is all part of the dreading JOURNEY. It's a journey for a reason, you travel, you learn, you grow. Dreads really don't happen over night. It takes time, patience, frustration, patience, time and patience. Backcombed and TnR dreads fall out. Read thru the dreaducation section of this site, Heed the advice and words of the people typing to you, we've been there, we've done it, we really do understand and know what we're talking about. It takes TIME for dreads to form. Some will fall out, some will knot right up. The important thing is to educate yourself about that process so you don't freak out, re-back comb or re-twist and do long term damage to your hair and scalp. Let them be, let them grow, let them become dreads on their terms. The more you try to force, the more they will rebel and misbehave. A lot like a teenaged boy.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form