Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

REALLY not enjoying the attention i'm getting at work for my hair. don't know what to do

Mel3
@mel3
11 years ago
5 posts

hi all

so i work part time as a cashier at a grocery store. i was hired no problem with my hair, they know i keep it clean.

i've been dreading for about a year and a half.

a few things are starting to bother me though, when i'm at work. a lot of people comment on my dreads, or ask how i made them. that doesn't bother me too much, but when someone brings up Bob Marley or Rasta, i feel annoyed. i live in a town where thousands of Jamaicans live part time. most of them shop at the store i work at, because it has lots of international foods.

sometimes when they come through my till, they'll call me 'rastagirl', or ask me if i'm a real rasta, or a rastawoman, or if i smoke weed, like bob marley, etc.

i don't believe they are trying to annoy me though. they are all very nice and polite.

it has only been since i got the job about 2 months ago that i've truly considered brushing my dreads out. i don't want to, personally, but the attention i'm getting on my hair is making me self conscious and anxious.

i guess i'm just asking for tips, advice, or inspiration or opinions. thanks everyone

updated by @mel3: 01/13/15 09:55:08PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just be honnest

i know alotta rastas and hang out with them often

1 old rasta i used to vend with (cant remember his name off the top of my head) asked me once "rastafari do you defend"

wich at 1st didnt understand his accent lol but after he repeated it i just said well i respect rasta blielefs and percentage-wise i maybe slightly more rasta then many other things, but ive never been able to say i know 1 things right and all the rest wrong

and when asked if ui smoke i say yea but very lil very rarely

what annoys me is when pll just want to talk about pot or what they smoked how high they are etc i get that on fb alot so i always just say you l]know its incredibly boring to only talk about 1 subject all the time so come back when u got something more interesting to talk about..oh and if thats all you got going on maybe you need to take a break awhile

i know it may sound insulting but nearly 90% have decided to take a break then thanked me for it

anywho point is just smile and be honnest or well dont smile if u honnestly dont feel like it just say

i respect bob as a musician but its really annoying to always hear "bob marley' references just cause i have dreads

why not sampson or king tut or cleopatra all of whome had epic dreads long b4 bob marley

ofcourse i get rob zombie charley manson (even his nephrw\ew followed me around at a party calling me uncle charley..creepyyyyy) moses jesus goa whoever or watgever that is umm

i think the rob zombie 1 is most annoying

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

We too in our area (Niagara region) have seasonal workers, and they are charming, friendly and good hearted. They mean well when having the dreaded conversation with you (pun intended). You grew your dreads for you, keep them for you. Know that they must look pretty awesome for people to comment on them so often, embrace that. Due to your age, this makes you feel uncomfortable, and I understand that, you are not yet use to people approaching you in such a way. But if you do cut them for that reason, you will have regrets, and that you don't want.

Not that you owe anyone an answer, but all you have to say is "I love dreadlocks". and then say your hair is looking very fine today or whatever else will change the subject. Or, "enough about me always, how was your day"....just turn it around right back to them, most people love to talk about their self, so just flip it back fast and before you know it, they are blabbing away.

You put in so much time and they look positively lovely on you. Accept that they are different than the average person walking around, accept it was your decision to grow them and accept that they are beautiful. Embrace your originality, embrace the freedom you had to let go and do your own thing, and embrace that YOU are beautiful.

Rastagirl is not an insult to you, just give a pleasant smile and know that they say it in kindness. Give yourself until the two year mark before you make any decisions to take them out or cut them. By then, I bet you will change your mind.....peace

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Try not to take offence to it. People are very shallow and judgmental even when they don't mean to be, so if they've never looked into dreadlocks or the Rastafari way of life, they might have ideas of them that, to us, might be very stupid or even annoying. But they probably don't mean it, loads of people think only Rastas can have dreadlocks, or Rastas have to smoke weed, or people with dreads all love reggae music. It's not worth combing out your dreads, their attention isn't malicious, just ignorant. Correct them, educate them, and feel good about yourself for helping someone learn something :)

Joseph Gaiche
@joseph-gaiche
11 years ago
28 posts
All you have to do is say no i dont or just ask em to stop. most people will respect that. im a rasta and im doing my journey cause of part of the religion. and i feel that its something i want to do and will help me grow as a person along with becoming intune with the religions ideas. but thats me. all you have to do is say im not part. and most people will leave it at that. if you dont want your locks and would rather stop em then do it. but people should not make you want to stop or comb them out. honestly being different and out of social norm is something i love. some dont. if you feel it would be easyer then do it. but think long and hard cause if you do it. it will take a long time to get it back just cause you didnt like people asking you stuff or calling you something that they might not think is bad to them! Good luck though!
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I have to say, before anything else, that your dreads look amazing =]

People who dont know about dreadlocks usually assoiciate them with homeless people, rastafarians, people who smoke weed etc. and think theyre dirty and stuff but thats just something you have to ignore or try to educate people about.

If the rasta thing is whats annoying you, you can only say 'Im not rastafarian just grew my dreads because....' or just keep it short and avoid further questions but saying you just love dreads. If you dont tie them up already maybe wearing them back will take away some attention from them? Or if youre allowed, wear a hat? I cant really think of any physical things you can do to avoid it but just dont let it get to you when people do comment.

I hope you decide to keep your dreads but its your decision, make it for yourself not for others =]

christina bird
@c-bird
11 years ago
54 posts

maybe u can jus tie a scarf around ur hair when at work ?

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form