Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

All of my dreadlocks have congoed into one big dreadlock at the roots

Michaelllllll
@michaelllllll
11 years ago
9 posts

Ive had dreadlocks for over 2 years, and while they have matured well.. I haven't really cared much for them. Over the past half year - a year, my hairs been in a ponytail pretty much most of the time and im starting to realize that my roots have all congoed together. Its like i have an inch of matted hair thats joined togehter, and all my dreadlocks are growing from it....its starting to get to a point where my scalp hurts alot and mold and stuff can easily thrive in the matted part. What should i do? Ive tried everything to rip them apart but its too congoed together. Should i comb out my dreads? If so, is it even possible to comb out the matted portion? i want to avoid shaving/cutting alot of my hair out

thanks for the help!

Michael

updated by @michaelllllll: 01/13/15 09:54:55PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

There are two videos I will send by Baba Fats, even though you have tried to rip them apart: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial-part-2

watch these first,if you have tried this already, then your only other option is to use an old fashion razor blade, the kind that is two sided. Put masking take on one of the blades so you can use it to hold onto, then slowly cut one hair at a time, try to rip the joining sections apart, cut another hair, try again and keep doing that. Take you time, it will eventually come apart. The root area should still have a little bit of webbing. Always check your dreads after you do this, even once a month, just to see if any have joined. They certainly will if you wear your hair in a ponytail often, they will grab onto each other.

Take you time...use care....do it over days if you need to....but they will come apart...you can keep your dreads that you love.....If you still need help, contact Baba Fats directly.....good luck and peace

Oh yes, best to separate section when the hair is wet, so in the future when you start to maintain them by separating, do it when they are wet, they are stronger that way.

You don't have to cut the matted sections out, you are just cutting a few hairs at a time and trying to separate them again....

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I agree with Barrellady, I was going to say would you be able to try to cut some of the connecting hairs and see if it makes them easier to pull apart. That's a real shame, I know because dreads are so low-maintenance, it's so easy to forget to do even that one thing. I hardly ever separate mine either, but fortunately enough to stop any congos. Hope it works, and of course, do it as carefully and slowly as possible.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Actually hair is weaker when wet and will break at a lower force. That is why it is easier to pop them when wet.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Taye is right, hair is stronger when dry, but when wet, it breaks easier yet has more elasticity. So it is better to separate the sections when dry. Sorry for the wrong information. We always learn something new!.

taye said:

Actually hair is weaker when wet and will break at a lower force. That is why it is easier to pop them when wet.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form