Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

How are they doing? Any advice?

Alejandro Sierra
@alejandro-sierra
4 years ago
4 posts

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the site and I have liked what I've seen so i decided to join. I'll bet you've seen this many times but I've been feeling down about how my dreads are coming along. I started using the backcombing method with wax (but stopped using it after 1 week, having only reapplied it once) and seeing how rapidly they came undone has kinda left me unsure. Everyone likes to tell me about how they aren't dreads and how I must have ruined them, but they won't listen to my defenses and explanations. The hair in the back has dreaded nicely but virtually all of the other hair is still very loose. Any advice because most of the other pictures that I've seen of people who are 4 months in look much better than mine. Just for reference I use BS & ACV rinse every one to two weeks and a spray shampoo about twice a week, although maybe doing it more often would help. I separate congos about twice a week and palmroll about once a week, but only on the ones that are very loopy. The first picture is day one, next two are 4 1/2 months in, and there are others on my profile.

updated by @alejandro-sierra: 01/13/15 09:50:54PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

Well, the wax is preventing progress. BS and normal shampoos won't clean it out. You need a detergent to get it out. As long as it's there, your hair won't progress healthily. That's part of the reason. The other part of why your locks don't look like others, is that a) they are yours. There are 1001 factors that go into how locks progress. Everyone's hair is slightly different. b) you're only 4 months in. That's still in the baby lock phase. And it's usually the messiest month for most people.

Also, What shampoo are you using? That could be a problem. I don't know much about spray on shampoos, but I'd venture to bet it is horrendous for locks. If you let us know what kind it is, we can check the ingredients and let you know. I'd recommend not using it for a while and only washing with BS/ACV 2-3 times a week, instead. Until we figure out if that shampoo is ok.

Alejandro Sierra
@alejandro-sierra
4 years ago
4 posts

The shampoo is called "Tropical Roots: Clean and Deposit Anti-Itch Shampoo Spray".

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

I'd stay away from it. First the Paraben is extremely toxic. And the parafin is HIGHLY flammable. It's also the kind of product that hangs around and leave residue. So even after you wash it out, your hair becomes extremely likely to catch on fire if you're near any source of open flame.

Many of the other products seem ok, but Eagle and Heather would know better if they leave residues or act like conditioners

Alejandro Sierra
@alejandro-sierra
4 years ago
4 posts

Okay, thank you. I'll stop using it and start using the BS & ACV more often.

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form