Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Dreadlock Progression From 5-6 Inches Of Hair - A Dready Timeline - By Castaway Jesus

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

Dreadlocks are certainly something to grow with over time. Having intention to grow dreadlocks, and taking the steps toward them, is akin to strapping on your karma belt. It is a process not to be taken lightly but to be loved and enjoyed for the lessons we all have to learn along the way. Such is the way of things.

Anyway, here is the progression of the locks on my head, from 5-6 inches of hair. Since the last cut when it was 3-4 inches on top i decided to grow it out, later on deciding to let it be, and simply let it dread. Thats all thats needed!

Having fun on the river! This was after the last cut, a few months before the comb toss!

And then some months later it grew out. This was day two! The natural separation that your hair does, was very fun to watch.

Here above you can see tons of seperation taking place, and this was only a few days of not combing!

Almost a week later theres more going on.

One and a half months, and the hair is still naturally seperating itself into natural locks of hair. This is how hair is meant to be. Also some tightening. I was mainly doing baking soda washes at this point.

Three months! Watching the hair naturally twist on itself was really awesome, soon after is when i began noticing a lot of tangles within the spirals.

Here we are at 6 months! Finally spring once more :) There is a lot of locking taking place all within the lengths of the locks, some locks that are constantly laid on decided to fold up on themselves, or congo. Many have balled at the ends.

You can also see that there are a lot of loose hairs, or thin sections of loose hair. Dont worry if you have them just watch them grow out and see what happens!

This is me at work, almost 7 months! The changes in the locks and my self have long since taken root.

Right before hitting 8 months. i believe only the sides had yet to start locking.

And then there seems to be a lapse in time. Skip now to a 13 months! Past the one year mark! You can see that there are locks that are all in different stages of growth. Oh forgot, you can also see i tried my hand at a wrap :)

The ropes at some 15 months :D

And then here they are today! Before and after the wash. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I had to take a pic of this lil guy, hes the littlest dread that could.

Heart.

Before wash.

After. It has continued to be an inspiring and awakening journey. Much love to everyone here on the site and those yet to meet!

**** 17 MONTHS ****

Here we are, one day after 17 months, had a walk in the park on the beautiful day

Walking and loving life, reflecting :D

They continue to grow on me (multi-pun intended), as I journey this path in spirit and grow myself.

The last couple months have been bringing more locking to the roots, they are maturing quickly, and all that straight hair from the roots are becoming matted <3

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=~Sometime after 20 months~=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So these last few months has seen tons of change in my life. My dreads appear to be matured now. I shaved my beard on the summer solstice with the super full moon.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=~ 2 YEARS September 22, 2013 ~=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2 years have passed since I officially made the decision to throw away the comb and embrace a life of love.

This was at Burning Man 2013 after a long night :)

We went hiking for the two years celebration. You can see that they grow really fast. Really fast.

The wrap was put in by a friend at burning man, hope it still has playa in it.

LOVE

First 3-6 months was for natural sectioning. 1 year until I felt like I was getting ropes on my head. At 1 1/2 years they looked to be mature. A lot of random, and Kundalini energy I see coming out of my head.

These locks have been my teachers <3

updated by @castaway-j: 02/14/15 06:07:22AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

your adding more awesome already featuring so keep adding this is awesome well done

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
amethyst777
@amethyst777
11 years ago
95 posts

Love this timeline! Great commentary also! :)

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
11 years ago
102 posts
I was not prepared to witness awesome beard growth aswell itt.
Karlin Buck
@karlin-buck
11 years ago
28 posts

I hope my dreadies turn out as gorgeous as yours

Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
11 years ago
50 posts

cool stuff mane. time is a crazy thing.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

Thanks everyone! You all have proven to be a solid support!

@Robyn yes ive got some hard water here, and have considered boiling it in the first few months. but it is not necessesary. What im washing with now is the DLS shampoo of course, if not then BS/ACV. Baking soda works just fine, although if you havent already, you might have to find YOUR perfect mix, it would be different than mine or anyone elses :) but the recipes here on the site are great mixtures to start with.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

oh and about the beard, i shaved it off in july :( but havent shaved it since so i think it is somewheres around the age of abouts...5 months now? Thank you again :)

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Hehe i haven't shaved in 4 months now :P.. and that with the combination of my hair is why half my school calls me jesus. Haha.

Castaway J said:

oh and about the beard, i shaved it off in july :( but havent shaved it since so i think it is somewheres around the age of abouts...5 months now? Thank you again :)

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

yeah i get that almost every day too lol and then i went hiking for a month and the name stuck, along with castaway.

NaturalDreads01 said:

Hehe i haven't shaved in 4 months now :P.. and that with the combination of my hair is why half my school calls me jesus. Haha.

Castaway J said:

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form