Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Growing my roots, a personal and spiritual journey.

Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

Guess what? I forgot to take pictures again :)

Also, I'm considering brushing my hair and doing something completely different with it. Part of the reason is because I'm a little impatient and other than one knotty tangle, my hair is showing no sign of locking at all. I'm willing to bet that I could brush it and in less than an hour it would be as if I never even tried to freeform. While I do have spiritual reasons for growing my hair and such, I also don't hold hair (very) sacred and I want to enjoy and have fun with the way I look. So I might try different hairstyles for a while and come back to trying locks later.

I will post a picture before I decide anything, though. I'm not in a rush :)

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
If you're going to brush your hair out anyway you may as well give twist and rip a go. Worse comes to worse you could then just brush them out like you were going to do anyway.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Tater
@tater
5 years ago
54 posts

I second that.

Mine took to twist and rip really well. I'm almost to 3 months, will add an update here soon...but they're basically dreaded. I have finger-length dreadies all over.

updated by @tater: 07/17/19 04:43:00PM
Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

FemalePheromones: If you're going to brush your hair out anyway you may as well give twist and rip a go. Worse comes to worse you could then just brush them out like you were going to do anyway.

I was already considering this, thanks :) I'm also wondering if palm rolling might be something, without wax of course. It's kind of similar to twist and rip.

Tater:

I second that.

Mine took to twist and rip really well. I'm almost to 3 months, will add an update here soon...but they're basically dreaded. I have finger-length dreadies all over.

That's cool :) I wonder how my hair would do with twist and rip though because I already haven't brushed my hair for so long now, I'm wondering if it could even work at this point. That's why I'm thinking palm rolling, just pushing all the hairs together, I have a lot of free time so I can sit around every day rolling my hair around, maybe use some coconut oil or jojoba oil, just a little bit.

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
No coconut oil! It'll keep dirt locked in on your hairs. Anything water soluble is a safer bet.
Tater
@tater
5 years ago
54 posts
My buddy palm-rolled his and his are like 3 years strong. I did it on a few that came undone in the beginning, just to keep them kinda in a section...but I only did it to the tips and only on a very select few. It was just enough to push those strands into knotting.
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts

From what I understand palm rolling does nothing except for weakening the roots. It might flatten some frizzy hairs down for a while but they will soon pop back up.

I was in a similar position to you after I combed out my crocheted "dreads" I tried free form for 6 months and my hair was kind of sectioning but not locking up at all. I then saw photos of @bazooka_guru 's twist and rip dreads and thought they looked awesome so fuck it let's give it a go. Like I say I used the sections that were already kind of forming so they were all kind of random sizes and not in any sort of grid pattern that a lot of people seem to go for so they actually seem a bit more natural anyway. Also make sure you buy this shampoo:

https://dreadlockshampoo.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

From the first time I used that shampoo on my hair after doing twist and rip things started to happen. It really makes all the difference.

--

updated by @femalepheromones: 07/18/19 02:09:15AM
Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

The palm rolling didn't do much, I thought maybe it would help to push more hairs together but the next morning everything was gone haha.

FemalePheromones:

From what I understand palm rolling does nothing except for weakening the roots. It might flatten some frizzy hairs down for a while but they will soon pop back up.

I was in a similar position to you after I combed out my crocheted "dreads" I tried free form for 6 months and my hair was kind of sectioning but not locking up at all. I then saw photos of @bazooka_guru 's twist and rip dreads and thought they looked awesome so fuck it let's give it a go. Like I say I used the sections that were already kind of forming so they were all kind of random sizes and not in any sort of grid pattern that a lot of people seem to go for so they actually seem a bit more natural anyway. Also make sure you buy this shampoo:

https://dreadlockshampoo.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

From the first time I used that shampoo on my hair after doing twist and rip things started to happen. It really makes all the difference.

Thanks, but... I've been using Vicki's shampoo for months already, remember? :P I wash my hair about 3 times a week. I'm actually considering goin back to washing my hair with plain water and/or tea, that has always worked for me (did that for years).

I have been playing with my hair, messing it up and such, it seems to have created a few more tangles and things that might help to speed things up a bit.

I'll probably just keep going, in the spirit of my original idea of not caring about what my hair looks like. Maybe I'll buy a fun hat instead ;)

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
Mate I can't remember anything. Posts on here are so sporadic that I always forget who said what and when.

--
Tater
@tater
5 years ago
54 posts

Lol I wear fun bandannas. I tie them loose. It keeps me covered on the days I really just don't want the attention.

updated by @tater: 07/19/19 10:07:03PM

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form