dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Female's Timeline

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well now your in the right place to spread your knowledge from your experience

thats what i takes.. everyone telling their story.. 

with wax.. it took hundreds of victims of wax challenging the lead wax pushers to a debate making them face the harm that was done (was quite the spectacle) 

with crochet dunno who would be te 1 person to debate, maybe that guy skillteacher since like close to a million watched his vids despite his wifes dread simply falling off in his hand which he dared to say it wasn't crocheted enough 

as long as we keep spreading good info here and every 1 of you sharing your stories  the word will get out just like it did with wax.. it took time  but this community made a big diference and will continue to

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
Believe it or not I was led to believe that crochet was the 'natural' method because it doesn't involve putting and products (such as wax) in your hair.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

some salons call it natural dreads if it involves hair at all (as apposed to synthetic/wool)

--
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
Crazy people.

--
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

FemalePheromones: Yeah that's true. I've been wearing a hat a lot at the moment because it's been so cold so I'm hoping when it warms up and I don't need to wear it my hair will benefit.

Yes It is cold over here too, but my dreads are isolating pretty good so no need for a hat for me. I have bought a tam for weathers like this, but have'nt worn it a lot at all.

But in your case with the shaved sides i can imagine that it is getting cold imidiately!

updated by @dread-stpauli: 03/04/18 04:19:06AM
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

well now your in the right place to spread your knowledge from your experience

thats what i takes.. everyone telling their story.. 

with wax.. it took hundreds of victims of wax challenging the lead wax pushers to a debate making them face the harm that was done (was quite the spectacle) 

with crochet dunno who would be te 1 person to debate, maybe that guy skillteacher since like close to a million watched his vids despite his wifes dread simply falling off in his hand which he dared to say it wasn't crocheted enough 

as long as we keep spreading good info here and every 1 of you sharing your stories  the word will get out just like it did with wax.. it took time  but this community made a big diference and will continue to

In the city i live in, i see a lot of people with dreads every day, but most of them i guess are crocheted, some are backcombed or twisted and ripped, almost none are completely natural. In two years i have only met one women with natural dreads. The younger people are, the more they tend to crochet there hair, to get the "dread" look as soon as possible, no matter what it means to the health of their hair and scalp. That is a bit sad.

So i guess there is a lot of work to do for all of us!

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
The only real experience I have of dreads is from when I was about 13 (about 2002/2003) and one of my mates had his hair dreaded and one day he didn't haved dreads and the next he did so I think I just always thought that's how it's done.

I vaguely remember a group of us going swimming not long after and he said he couldn't because he couldn't soak his dreads.

Other than that when I was about 16-17 I used to go to a lot of free parties (illegal raves) and would always see people with dreadlocks but never thought to ask anyone how they were done.

If I had known I could do them myself for free I probably would have had them back then.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well me, i grew up in the 80s around rastas and "move" aka the africa family (love ramona to death) then at 19 went to my 1st rainbow gathering 

so all i ever knew was natural dreads. i never knew anyone "created dreads" i remember 1 day a woman on the street suggested bees wax to help my beard start to dread.. so i went and bought some, literally just touched it to my beard  in 1 spot the size of my fingertip.. and spent months and months picking it out trying to get rid of it 

so that was my 1st experience with the concept of made dreads

then, later 90s i guess it was and the internet became a thing ..and i heard about interlocking (and how it made dreads fall off at the roots) started seeing dread kits, and hearing stories of how wax is a better alternative then toothpaste, peantbutter, and, glue. 

it took years of educating people n te dangers of wax, ten crochet became an alternative to wax.. even more harmful

so, while rainbow gatherings still tend to be 100% ..or at least 99,999%  natural dreadlocks, the internet with  10 million websites pushing harmful methods, theres only about 3 sites pushing the truth, ours being biggest. with about 1.3 million pages. 

so we have a lot of work to do to educate people. prevent large scale destruction, and preserve what dreads have meant throughout the ages.

nowadays rainbow gatherings are 1 of the last remaining places where 100% or nearly so, of the dreads are natural and/or spiritual.  even in jaimaica salons  are starting to corrupt what people think of dreads. while true rastas don't buy into it a new breed of newly converted rastas see dreadlocks  not as the result of a lifestyle and belief based choice, but instead something they buy  to show off that they are rastas.

in the past rasas did not need dreads to be rasta, now they don't have to believe in rastafarii to be considered rasta they just have to have dreads and an accent. 

how many salon stories have we heard that start with "i went to a rasta who crocheted my hair"

which goes completely against the entire reason rastas dread to begin with.

--
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
People keep asking me why I combed my dreads out and my best answer is that I didn't have dreads. I combed my hair out so that I can now have dreads.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

good answer

--

/ 8

Dislike 0