Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My natural timeline

btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts
So this is going to be my timeline for my current, natural set of locks. In August 2015 I started out with a styled set, with crochets, needles, everything needed to have a nice set of shredlocks lol. I was thrilled because my hair is naturally a mess; having it dreaded or shaved off is the only way to keep things neat. So for a while I had the styled dread mindset, like to have an imperfection or a loose hair was a huge burden and I would obsess over the idea of getting them "fixed" or maintenanced. I even decided to try wax a few times, going against the better advice I'd come across saying never to use it. On top of that, my sections were done horribly, almost entirely symmetrical and "neat". The sides weren't entirely horrible, but the top was, with huge sections that made it look almost like a spider on my scalp. I had these two bald looking spots that always bothered me if I started to think about it, but I'd brush it off all the time thinking one day it wouldn't even be visible, but it was always just as obvious as it had ever been. So a week and a half ago I inquired on here about what I should do about it, and ultimately I decided to just comb everything out and restart going natural. It took about 6 days to comb everything out, with roughly 42-43 dreads. Seeing some of the crap that came out of my dreads made me really excited to be starting over. Aside from whatever wax was still in them even after using Wax B Gone and washing with Dawn dozens of times, there was a good bit of dirt and other nasty crap from when I was a landscaper. Gross. The Wax B Gone works great btw, it was just hard for me to get everything since I used so much wax and my dreads were so tight. Anyway...

I got the last dread combed out this past Friday. I used a detangling brush afterward just to get rid of any remaining loose, dead hairs, then clarified and washed it afterward to get things started again. Because of my hair texture, I'm already seeing progress and how much different and healthier it is to just go natural. At this point I wouldn't recommend any other way. I know I'm still in just the beginning stages, but comparing this to my first set, I know I'm gonna be way happier with the results this time around, especially not worrying about how they look all the time.

The first pic is from my original set, and you can clearly see the sectioning was horrible...sad to think I walked around for 2 years with my head like that.
The other 4 pictures are of my hair now, or at least from this past Saturday after my first washing Friday night. You can see a dread already forming on the behind picture with some of the blonde hairs. There's a few other smaller baby dreads that have started to form, but not as obvious as that one. I'll keep this updated every here and there with pics to compare progression.
20171021_190552.jpg
20171021_190552.jpg  •  3.1MB

20171028_113530001.jpg

20171028_112938.jpg

20171028_112618.jpg

20171028_113054.jpg

updated by @btw990: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome start and the thin spots looking better already. just a lil warning it looks like some sections might try to revert to the old too big sections, keep an eye on them and make sure none form too big

just your texture might lead to it wanting to overdread into big fat dreads  so be on top of separating once its dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts
Yeah I'm definitely making sure to keep my eye on it. The ones that started forming I'm paying most attention to but as the rest of it mats I'm gonna make sure nothing gets too big. In particular I see the parting down the middle from the last set but I'm just pushing each side back towards the middle here and there to correct it.

As for sections I've been pulling away anything that makes it exceed an inch on the sides and even a little smaller on top. I'd rather them be smaller sections that I can congo than too big and unruly, don't want all that skin showing again lol.

Allowing it to be more random and not being ocd about what should go where is helping a lot, especially as far as with old sections trying to get back together.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

just toss them to 1 side awhile then the other and eventually the part becomes a mane without a part

--
btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts
That's actually been working out better for me. As for washing, should I stick with every three days or would two be fine here and there you think? It seems like they get the most action during washes but I don't want to overdo it. Just wash whenever I feel I need to?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

whenever you feel you need to yes

--
btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts
One week update

My hair's becoming nice and sectioned out all around, moreso in the back and my left side because I sleep most on my left since I usually eat before bed. But all around things are going well; I think the very front is all that hasn't sectioned itself yet.

So I realized that my cowlick area isn't balding, just that it's become super thin. Definitely from my previous set but I also found myself leaning that part of my head on the palm of my left hand the other night in bed watching Nightmare on Elm Street. I never thought of it prior, but I actually do that pretty often. I suppose that could also make the roots there thin and the hair lay flat? I'm being careful not to lean there now but I'm hoping over time it will rethicken.
20171103_124737.jpg
20171103_124737.jpg  •  3.1MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

they are coming along great! hmm i suppose if you do it a whole lot it could

still think it would be worthwhile to talk to panterra

--
btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts
Ah I didn't catch that last time you mentioned it, I'll shoot her a message later when I get the chance.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

cool shes a real expert with stuff like that

--
 / 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form