Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

HashFlare
Dreadlocks Forums

3 Weeks In

kellymarie
@kellymarie
last year
9 posts

My dreads are brand new...about 3 weeks old. They were created using the twist & rip method. My roots have all completely come undone, and the entire back has fallen out. I'm not surprised about the back, I did them myself and it's not easy to get back there!

I have a few of them that are doing pretty well in the middle, they don't feel nearly as soft and spongy or as fuzzy, and I can see a few spots where they want to start looping. 

I am currently waiting patiently for my dread soap to arrive from the U.S. (I live in Mexico at the moment).  So no, they haven't been washed properly. I have washed them once a week so far, once with just water, once with hand soap and once with regular shampoo. I did an acv + essential oil rinse once. I know this isn't optimal, but it's the only option I have right now. 

I'm struggling a bit to decide if I just want to let them be or if I should brush them out and start over, trying to get the knots closer to the scalp and to get someone to help with the back. I want them on the thinner side, and I want loose ends, if that helps. Any thoughts or suggestions out there for a newbie?  Thanks in advance!

IMG_5409.JPG.jpg
IMG_5409.JPG.jpg  •  1.8MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
last year
28,092 posts

no matter how tight you get the roots on day 1 by week 3 you will have 3 inches loose

they are perfectly fine just leave them be your shampoo will arrive soon when you start washing right they will start dreading right

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
kellymarie
@kellymarie
last year
9 posts

Oh that's good to know...I've done a lot of research but I didn't know that roots will come loose. That makes me happy! Thanks for the info :) 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
last year
28,092 posts

people are willing to go bald to force tighten the roots to an extreme cause they worry about them loosening up

they will be loose generally the 1st 8 months or so

everything people suggest for tightening roots should be avoided except maybe beads or sea salt

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
kellymarie
@kellymarie
last year
9 posts

Cool. Good to know :)

3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
last year
59 posts

Loose roots can be super frustrating for sure.  My hair is pretty silky and fine so I have had my fair share of dreads loosening or falling out completely.  I am now 8 months.

I have some dreads with 4 inches of root still and some that are about 1/2 inch of undreaded.  It all evens itself out I suppose! For now I just am like, well it gives me a little length since most of mine have gone through some extreme shrinkage.

I'm hoping by my 1 year mark they will all be within 1-2 inches of loose hair.

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316
kellymarie
@kellymarie
last year
9 posts

So did you redo the ones that fell out completely or did you just let them do their thing? I haven't redone mine, and I have this huge chunk right on the back of my head that has completely come out. I don't really wanna continue putting stress on the hair by twisting n ripping over and over again, but it looks like a complete disaster right now...like I was raised in a cave by wolves lol

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
last year
28,092 posts

just let them do their thing

hey women raised in caves by wolves are a weakness of mine!

come on..really women raised in houses by overbearing parents and taught proper etiquette ..how boring is that

i actually knew a guy raised in a cave by wolves 1 of the most interesting people i knew

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
last year
59 posts

After trying to twist and rip and a few other strategies and having them fall out I finally left them to do their own thing.  It takes time and a lot of patience but as your other dreads tighten up it seems to give them more room to do what they need to.  I have dreads in all stages of maturity, from straight, babies to maturing shrunk locks.

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316
kellymarie
@kellymarie
last year
9 posts

lol somehow I knew I was going to get that response. Not dissing wolves, caves, or people raised by/in them. I think the human race would probably be much better off if we had all been raised by wolves. I just personally don't want to look like I have been licked clean by a wild animal or that I sleep with a pillow made of mud and sticks, which is pretty much what it looks like right now. As boring as being raised in modern society was, I appreciate everything I learned about good hygiene, and it doesn't involve wolf slobber and cave dust all over my head hahaha! I don't know, maybe it's just me, but there's something funny about that description...but I can find humor in anything :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form