Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural/Freeforming Journey

tribal-mama
@wild-and-free
8 years ago
17 posts

A week ago, I stopped brushing my hair. Lots of background about how I came to this decision, but what matters most is that this is a journey of discovery, patience and letting go. Looking forward to seeing where it takes me.....

Day 2/1 day in

Post-wash, first wash since stopping brushing the day before.

Day 4

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 13

Day 18

Day 21

I'll do some individual loc pics soon, as of last night, I had 33 forming!

Day 23

Awesome friend did my separating for the day, and palm-rolled (I know it doesn't do anything to help, but was happy for her to do it) and counted as she went along. Final count of 43 baby locs!!! Need to get more beads but have several in now. She did me a little wrap also <3

One Month

Wow, made it to a month! I absolutely loved the aesthetic results of my friend's palm-rolling, and the fact it kept everything separated well and made the next couple of days' separating really easy. However, it made my head ache until I washed my hair, so semi-freeforming is not for me unfortunately.

It's an overwhelming process at times - usually when it comes to separating the mid- and lower-back sections of hair. It just wants to all mesh together as one at the roots, and - doing this naturally - I want to avoid damaging my hair, so the separating process is all-consuming. I'd love to know if there is any way of taming my hair, or if it's just an inevitable part of the process? Wondering how long it will take until it calms down. But, yay, one month down - many more to go!

9 days off 2 months......

All-consuming separating is still getting to me. Here's a pic after a mammoth session after minimal separation for a few days. Pleasantly surprised to see that the back is starting to actually look like locs, instead of being hidden with loose hair. Up to about 80 babies now.

3 months

Bit disappointed that I've had to resort to ripping my hair to separate as I just don't have the amount of time needed every day to do it gently. I feel like it's hindered the progress, as all the broken hairs are making it look so messy. Just have to wait and see I suppose. I've had a huge amount of shrinkage from the hair that's loc'd up. You can kind of see with all the gaps. The longer hair is the stuff that hasn't locked up yet.

5 months

So time is flying by now. I generally wear my hair up when I'm out, and down at home. It's a long old process here. Tons of locks, many maturing (CRAZY shrinkage in places!), but still many loose hairs that make it look like there isn't actually much progress?! I'm struggling with drying my hair now it's colder. My hair does not dry in a day. I've resorted to blow drying a few times, which I really hate doing (I have rarely blow dried in my whole lifetime!), as I don't want to damage my hair. However, I've had to go to bed with damp hair a few times, and have had a lock that smells mildew-y (!!!!!!!) when wet (at the back, when I squeeze it then smell the water on fingers) - what can I do (if anything) to reverse this?!? And any tips on drying quicker?

Still loving the spiritual journey though.....

DSC_0007.JPG

8.5 months

Keep meaning to update, and can't find my pics from 6-7 months atm, so sticking most recent up for now. About a month or so ago my hair got much easier to manage - only need to separate once a day now. Also it's really calmed down in volume, so my head doesn't look like a triangle of hair anymore! Probably because the sides have locked up quite well, rather than being a mass of hair going in all directions. Still LOTS of hair left to lock up, mainly on the sides and lower back of head.

I'm a bit worried about how so many of them have huge fat, flat ends though (one pic to show what I mean) - the whole lock is thin but then there's this massive end on it.....I have lots like this. I can't seem to find any pics of anyone else with hair like this. It makes keeping them apart difficult as I can't get beads on them.

9 months.JPG

9months2.JPG   9months3.JPG  9months4.JPG9months5.JPG9months6.JPG

updated by @wild-and-free: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

already some great progress!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tribal-mama
@wild-and-free
8 years ago
17 posts

Day 4/3 days in

First section started on day 1, and at day 4, I have a few sections on the go already!

Day4-back.jpg
Day4-back.jpg  •  428KB

Day4-side.jpg
Day4-side.jpg  •  444KB

updated by @wild-and-free: 05/22/16 04:46:21PM
tribal-mama
@wild-and-free
8 years ago
17 posts

Day 7/6 days in

Lots of pics, 6 individual sections forming, though they all keep getting attracted together and trying to merge tightly.

Day7-back.jpg
Day7-back.jpg  •  486KB

Day7-loc1.jpg
Day7-loc1.jpg  •  421KB

Day7-loc2.jpg
Day7-loc2.jpg  •  448KB

Day7-loc3.jpg
Day7-loc3.jpg  •  566KB

Day7-loc4.jpg
Day7-loc4.jpg  •  458KB

Day7-loc5.jpg
Day7-loc5.jpg  •  433KB

Day7-loc6.jpg
Day7-loc6.jpg  •  438KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

keep updating often i think they will dread real fast

--
tribal-mama
@wild-and-free
8 years ago
17 posts

Day 8/7 days in

Washed my hair a day early today, because I was excited to see what may happen.....step forwards or backwards for the clumping process? Not embracing the patience side of things Laugh  That taught me though, as I ended up with one huge tangled mess to deal with at the back! Plus side, I eaked the current (and new) sections into smaller ones if needed, so I now have 10 sections starting to loc up (including one near the front!). I'm really surprised at how quickly it's all starting tbh. I know it's a long old way to go, but really exciting seeing progress like this. Pics (bit blurry) of a few of them so this doesn't get picture-heavy......

Day8-pic1.jpg
Day8-pic1.jpg  •  474KB

Day8-pic2.jpg
Day8-pic2.jpg  •  473KB

Day8-pic3.jpg
Day8-pic3.jpg  •  463KB

Day8-pic4.jpg
Day8-pic4.jpg  •  424KB

updated by @wild-and-free: 05/22/16 05:17:10PM
tribal-mama
@wild-and-free
8 years ago
17 posts

Thank you :) Yes, I will try to - I joined partly to do this - track my progress so I can look back on it, and because I've found it hard to find many timelines around the web. Thanks for the site, lots of very useful information, and I look forward to checking out the forum in depth!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

we could use a lot more actively updated timelines

unfortunately we lost a lot of images in the site upgrade

ps a tip you cab click the embed media button next to the smily button to add images direct into a post then update that post as often as you want instead of doing attachments

--
tribal-mama
@wild-and-free
8 years ago
17 posts

Updated. Really not loving the separating process. It's matting up tight across the roots, and it's incredibly difficult to gently separate without damaging my hair.

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

Try seperating from the root up. Use a finger and pull up.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form